1748209 Members
2826 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vmotion

Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

This person will need a vsphere client installed on a windows machine to invoke the migration.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Good point. For VMotion you do need a vCenter/Virtual Center server (which can run in a Windows VM and it requires an extra license!) and the client, which can run on a Windows desktop/notebook.
Matt Palmer_2
Respected Contributor

Hi,

you can use the Vmware powercli without vsphere and it will allow you to use vmotion as follows:

get-vm test | move-vm -destination (get-vmhost esxhost)

regards

Matt
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

PowerCLI requires a Windows system anyway, so you can install the vSphere Client on it, too ;-)

(Not speaking against PowerCLI - it is GREAT!)
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

Are you sure Vmware powercli does not require vsphere installed? I understand it is just a command line interface to administer your vsphere commands.
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

"vSphere" is just an "umbrella name" and not a specific product. With all those name changes every couple of months it is hard to do a discussion without any ambiguities (but VMware is not the only company that does it).

PowerCLI enhances the Windows Powershell CLI with access to VMware APIs. You can connect a PowerCLI session to a central vCenter (previously known as "Virtual Center") server or directly to an ESX server.
To initiate a VMotion, you connect to vCenter.

My point was that when you're using PowerCLI, you have a Windows system on which you can install the vSphere Client (the management GUI) on this system, too. If you meant to say that you need a vCenter server for VMotion - true.
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for the clairification. We just bought two new vmware servers that will not be part of our current cluster. They will just be two esx servers side by side attached to a small SAN. They will not have interaction with a vshere console so I cannot see anyway to do a live migration from host to host. The best I could do would be to shut the guest down and manually bring it up on the other server. Does esx look after the disk locks or is vsphere responsible for this?
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

The VMkernel in the ESX host locks the VM files when the VM is powered-on. It does not require a vCenter server.