Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems - Please Update Your Bookmarks
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
If you have bookmarked forums or discussion boards in Servers and Operating Systems, we suggest you check and update them as needed.
Operating System - VMware
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vmware ESX - SO Solaris 9

Leonardio
Occasional Advisor

Vmware ESX - SO Solaris 9

Hi,

We wanna use vmware to install the system operation Solaris 9
Can we use solaris 9 in vmware? Work fine ?

My doubt is because, I have a enviroment that use Solaris 9 with Sparc processor, but now I wanna clone this enviroment, using vmware with a processosr Intel (X86).

Tks
Leonardo Mantovam
4 REPLIES
Uwe Zessin
Honored Contributor

Re: Vmware ESX - SO Solaris 9

SPARC binaries will not run, because VMware does processor virtualization, not emulation.

The Guest OS Guide gives information about support details for Solaris x86:

http://www.vmware.com/pdf/GuestOS_guide.pdf
Leonardio
Occasional Advisor

Zessin,

I plan to install in a X86 server, a Vmware ESX 4.0, and create a virtual machine with the system Solaris 9.
Now I see in vmware website that the version ESX 4.0 are up on "Experimentally supported on this release".

Although this version is "experimentally", the ESX 4.0 with Solaris 9 32 BITS works fine ?

Does Anyone have experience using this version ?

Tks
Mantovam
Rob Buxton
Honored Contributor

You might be better off posting in a VMware Forum as this is not really an HP based question.
Gordon Sjodin
Frequent Advisor

I have run this for test purposes and had no problems. the zfs file system is quite impressive.