Operating System - VMware
1751937 Members
4538 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion

Where are the management agents for a DL380G5 running ESXi 4.1u1?

SOLVED
Go to solution
David Claussen
Regular Advisor

Where are the management agents for a DL380G5 running ESXi 4.1u1?

I have seen SMH for ESXi, Offline bundle for ESXi, but management agents say for ESX (not ESXi).

I have a repurposed DL380 G5 that I want to use as development ESXi 4.1u1 host.  Everything worked great, but I want to be able to fully manage/monitor this system with my SIM 6.3 server.  Installing the PSP on a Windows server is simple, is there no ESXi option for that?

I have the same question for a DL360G5 and our BL460c's.  I want to cover all of our hundreds of HP servers in SIM, but the VMware servers have always given me trouble.

Thanks for your time.

- Dave Claussen

dclausse@scgov.net

3 REPLIES 3
Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor

Re: Where are the management agents for a DL380G5 running ESXi 4.1u1?

Hi,

In ESXi no Insight agents, no systems management homepage... Only the offline bundle to install... For ESXi 5.0 this is exactly the same...

In the SIM discovery you have to give the root password in the credentials list, everything will be discovered afterwards...

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !
David Claussen
Regular Advisor

Bart I thank you for that information.  I never knew to enter the VMware credentials for a server discovery in SIM.  After entering them for this server, there was much more infomation after another discovery.

Three questions to follow this breakthrough;

1. Do I still need SNMP?  I had to enable that using VMware instructions.  I also use Solarwinds Orion and that requires SNMP, but I am thinking that with this setup, ESXi 4.1u1 with the HP offline ESXi bundle, SNMP is no longer required for discovery in SIM.

2. Will monitoring th server in this way still alert me to drive failures, power supply failures and so on like it did with the old management agents?  I hope so.

3.  Is the HP offline ESXi bundle the same for all servers that support it?  I mean - do I use the same file to update a DL380 G5 as I would with a DL360 G6 and so on?

Thanks again for your help Bart.

Bart_Heungens
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

For ESXi SNMP is not needed anymore... You can use it but mainly all communication will happen through WBEM...

Yes you will get alerts when you have a hardware failure...

Normally the offline bundle is indeed one version for all servers... Just like the Insight Agents (besides the fact that there is a x86 and a x64 version...)

Kr,

Bart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my post was useful, clik on my KUDOS! "White Star" !