108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: sutesxi - how to set staging directory

SOLVED
Go to solution
Daniel-L
Advisor

sutesxi - how to set staging directory

I'm trying to change the staging directory for sutesxi.

According to Smart Update Tools for VMware ESXi User Guide Version 2.3.0.0 this should be done via "sutesxi -set stagingdirectory".

No matter which directory is used as parameter, the command will always fail with the following error.

[root@host sutesxi]# sutesxi -set stagingdirectory=/data/sutesxi
Command or parameter(s) is invalid or out-of-range. Use sutesxi /help to get available commands and syntax

The default staging directory can't be used due to size restrictions which can't be changed.

Also tried to change the setting in /opt/sutesxi/config/sutesxi_cfg.dat, but this file doesn't seem to have any effect at all. Also tried to find anything useful in the sqlite db /var/tmp/sutesxi/2_3_6_0/sutesxi.pdb with sqlite3 but this seems to hold the vCenter and OneView appliance data only - and the current jobs.

Could anybody give me a hint on how to change this?

sutesxi -version
Copyright (C) 2016 Hewlett Packard Enterprise Development LP
Smart Update Tools ESXi version 2.3.6.0 "4"

The current user guide has several typos and is missing a lot of required information.

I would be very grateful to get feedback from someone who has successfully deployed and uses sutesxi.

Thanks for your help,

Daniel

5 REPLIES 5
RaviTyagi
HPE Pro

Hello Daniel,

Greetings !

I will suggest you to reach out to HPE One View Support Team for further investigation .

Regards

RRT

I am an HPE Employee

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Daniel-L
Advisor

Hi RRT,

already done this. Out of my personal experience it's more likely to get a qualified answer in a timely manner through the HEP community.

Regards,

Daniel

Kashyap02
HPE Pro

There are 2 iSUT operating modes.

• OnDemand mode (default): OnDemand mode enables the administrator to write commands in the
CLI window that:
◦ Stages updates
◦ Deploys updates
◦ Reboots servers
• Auto mode: iSUT runs in the following Auto modes:
iSUT introduction 5
◦ AutoStage
– Stages available components to the host server through iLO Virtual Media. This is an update
through the iLO that does not use iLO Repository. It is the only mechanism available through
iLO for pre-Gen10 servers. However, it is also available on Gen10 servers when bypassing iLO
Repository.
– Uses SUM to inventory the server.
– Copies needed components to the server for deployment.
◦ AutoDeploy
– Performs all the tasks in AutoStage mode.
– Deploys available components on the host server.
◦ AutoDeployReboot
– Performs all the tasks in AutoDeploy mode.
– If required, reboots the host server.
NOTE: For VMware ESXi, the server must be in Maintenance mode.

Try this command: sut -set stagingdirectory=<directory_path>

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Daniel-L
Advisor

Hello Keshyap,

I'm looking for a way to change the staging directory for sutesxi.

As far as understood, iSUT can only be used with Gen10 systems. I need to update Gen8 and Gen9 blades thus the need for sutesxi.

Please don't hesitate to correct me if I was confused by the information provided by Smart Update Tools 2.3.6 for VMware ESXi Release Notes.pdf and Integrated Smart Update Tools 2.3.6 Release Notes for Windows, Linux, and VMware ESXi.pdf.

Regards,

Daniel

AleksandraIsa
HPE Pro
Solution

Hello,

here is the official reply form the SUT team:

SUT ESXi does not support “sutesxi –set stagingdirectory”.

As SUT ESXi runs on a VM and it is supposed to be a dedicated VM to update firmware/drivers to ESXi hosts(Gen8/Gen9), so this command was not implemented.

Unfortunately there is no workaround to change the staging directory.

The only option for customer is to allocate enough(more than 4 GB) free disk space where /var/tmp is mounted in the file system

The prerequisite for SUT ESXi of minimum 4GB free disk space is mentioned in the release notes.

Yes in Smart Update Tools for VMware ESXi User Guide Version 2.3.0.0 it is mentioned SUT ESXi supports –set stagingdirectory, but now that is being corrected in SUT ESXi 2.3.6 user guide.

Please find the SUT ESXi 2.3.6 user guide and release notes in below links.

Smart Update Tools 2.3.x User Guide for VMware ESXi

Smart Update Tools 2.3.x Release Notes for VMware ESXi

I am an HPE Employee.

Accept or Kudo