108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

20xt juke box, Optical disks and LVM'

SOLVED
Go to solution
Neil Harris
Regular Advisor

20xt juke box, Optical disks and LVM'

I have configured an optical diskdrive and 20xt jukebox into a H60 running 11i. The sytem recognises both devices and I can move disks around, diskinfo reports correct media types, and I can media init the disks. I am now stuck, I want to put LVMs on the disks I am sure I have read that it can be done, I cant find the reference and I dont know how to go about it. I have tried pvcreate against a disk and I just get an error. I presume there is a specific way of doing this. Can anyone help ?

Neil
An inveterate hacker
3 REPLIES 3
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

Re: 20xt juke box, Optical disks and LVM'

I don't have a reference handy, but I'm 99% certain that LVM is not a supported configuration for MO disks on HP-UX. I'm certain that it has never been tested in the lab.
Neil Harris
Regular Advisor

Ok so how do I write files to the disks. I want to use them for archive/backup storage rather than on line so not having LVM is a pain but not a major problem
An inveterate hacker
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor
Solution

You can simply make a file system on each surface and mount it like a regular disk drive. The only limitation is that you cannot use LVM to span drives, etc.

To do this, you must make sure that the ssrfc driver is included in the kernel (check via SAM), then use the newfs command on the special files located in the /dev/rac directory. Each special file corresponds to one surface (slot number of library + side a or b). Once you have created the filesystems you can mount them with the block special files in /dev/ac.

The other limitation is that you can only mount as many surfaces at any given time as you have drives in your library.

The best use in your case is to write scripts that perform the mount, the archiving operation, and then the unmount.