Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1751858 Members
5994 Online
108782 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: 660EX Drives appear as Storage Volumes in Windows 2000?

Steve Howard_1
Occasional Advisor

660EX Drives appear as Storage Volumes in Windows 2000?

A Customer of ours has a 6 Drive 660EX Jukebox.

He is having problems using the Drives with the Lowest SCSI ID's (0 & 1) because the Jukebox Managment software can't see them.

These two Drives appear as Storage Volumes under Device Manager in Windows 2000 - Why is this & how can we prevent it.

Thankyou.
9 REPLIES 9
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Steve,
install HP LTT and generate support ticket for library and attach it to your next reply.
Is it a new installation? Was this library upgraded from 4- to 6-drive model? Did it work before?
Eugeny
Steve Howard_1
Occasional Advisor

Support ticket attached....
The library has always been a 6 drive model & has never fully worked on a W2K Server.
(As described SCSI ID's 0 & 1 are not seen by the Jukebox Management system - ( Archive Xtender - Ascent Sotorage) )

All works OK on NT.

What I don't understand is why the two (non visable)drives appear as storage volumes.

Thanks

Steve Howard
meloni
Honored Contributor

Hello could you provide us these data:

did the drives appear at the post ?

did the drive appear in the bios of the Adaptec controller? (go in CTRL-A) and check in disk utility you have to see all the SCSI devices

did the drives appear if you run "Scan for hardware changes" in device manager?

check in the registery:
My computer>>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>>HARDWARE>>DEVICE_MAO>>SCSIBUS ?>>Target id 0, what is the Device name and Identifier, compare it with the drives that works

marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
If everything is under control, you are going too slow (Mario Andretti)
meloni
Honored Contributor

I have a deeper look into your Sticket, and I found that this unit is connected to a Adaptec controler, probably 2940 family, I also see that the disk Id 4 have no drive inside, I had some experiences with some drive that do not gave a ready state to the SCSI controlle if the do not have a cartridge inside, then you will have a time out in the scsi scan at boot time, and will fail to recognize the last drives (scsi scan from id7 to 0 ).
thsi may be the cause of your trouble.
marino
---------------X-------------------X--------------------X----------------X--------------
Steve Howard_1
Occasional Advisor

The User isn't in a position to reboot the system at the moment, but will try and do it today.

I've had a look at the registry & there is a difference for the 2 problem drives.

The 2 problem drives have the following entries

"DeviceName"="PhysicalDrive8"
"DeviceName"="PhysicalDrive9"

This entry doesn' appear for the working drives.. See attached section of the registry

Steve Howard_1
Occasional Advisor

All Drives appear as Scsi devices at all stages. The two that are seen as storage volumes by Windows are not seen by Jukebox management software.
meloni
Honored Contributor

Hi
there is a "known" problem related to Adaptec drivers, the time out of some devices are larger then the one of the drivers of the SCSI HBA, and then when this issue an inquiry , the last scsi devices are not detected (id 0 and id 1 are the last tested).
One way to solve this behaviour is to issue a scan for new hardware form device management console.
This could be related to your issue.
Also note that if this is your problem, you can contact Adaptec in order to receive a new driver that solve this issue, (it is not on their web site)

marino
Steve Howard_1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks,
I'll get the user to try that
Steve Howard_1
Occasional Advisor

A Re-Scan did not change anything -
I still don't understand why the two drives appear as Storage Volumes