6878 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: CD RW error

SOLVED
Go to solution
CA1189260

CD RW error

I run Mill. Me on a HP AMD Athlon 900MHZ. I've done some upgrades with memory and a new video card. Sometimes when I try to back up on my cdrw with a cdrw disk I get an error message. I've tried many times but I get the mess. that the cd may be write protected or needs formatting . I have a RW/cd and a DVD.I tried both and get the same message. I tried a floppy and it works fine. I've backed up my Quickbooks with a RW/CD and it works fine(although sometimes won't release it till I shut down. I've tried on Quicken and it won't back up with the CD,just the floppy. Am I doing something wrong,or could it be the CDs broke or just different software it just dosen't seem to reconize that its there.Any upgrades needed. On the outside it just says HP CD Writer Plus multiread. Thanks in advance to any takers.

P.S.This thread has been moved from Disk, Disk Arrays (Legacy) to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives- HP Forums Moderator

5 REPLIES 5
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor
Solution

There is a "firmware" update on support site for the Samsung installed in certain HP Pavilion units. I had to guess as your model was not provided.

Verify via Belarc Advisor (www.belarc.com), Everest Home Edition (Lavalys), or a physical inspection (remove case cover and read markings on unit)that this indeed be yours and proceed.Page is here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?product=60943тМй=en&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&os=209

Provide thanks for correct answer or direction via forum guidelines. Log in and click on "unassigned" by each contribution...assign points. Thank you.

I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
CA1189260

Thanks for the quick response. I'm sorry I did not give you my model number which is HP8765C. Hopefully you can tell me if this is the model that needed upgrading.MAUREEN
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor

Perhaps by now you know, having read the "small print" on the page I linked you to, that yours is the exact model I searched out.

Bet you wonder how I was able to do that.

Let me acquaint you with a couple of useful site "tools".

At page top here....tab marked "support and drivers"...you simply enter the model number of your HP (or Compaq) hardware and go on to make choices on driver/software downloads, troubleshooting and the like. Very helpful and of course keyed to your specific needs.

Near the top you will also see a "search" feature, enhanced by the "more options" tab to the right of it. This allows one to search both forums for mention of a word, phrase, hardware item, etc.....very, very useful. If there is a posted item or document covering your topic/query it will be found in a twinkling.

I entered HP 900mhz, and interpreted the results.

Of course the personal experiences of the volunteers, such as myself, is useful as well. All we ask is that you read the forum guidelines and reward us with "points" as per the HP system. Want to try that?...log in to your query and click on the unassigned notation by each volunteer post...a drop down will allow you to select point award based on your valuation of each. It's easy.

Additionally we would like you to return here and share your experiences by helping others...your registration allows for that as well...stay active and involved. Thank you.

Now please go ahead and apply that firmware upgrade...repost here with results. You may also repost with the full HP Model (Pavilion) and hardware (the samsung) given and perhaps garner some additional input.
I do not need to know everything. I just need to know where to go to get the information.
Rudy_8
Honored Contributor

One more thing...5 days is not a prompt response. I am not on this board that often and chose to view your post simply because no one had.

If you had posted with the full pavilion model number in the subject line and done so on the "pavilion page" I would bet you would have had an active "thread" going within an hour.

For future reference, and perhaps as follow up to this (if you do this...make a note on the old thread, assign points there and move on) you could post anew at:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/categoryhome.do?categoryId=405

Please note the "top ten" member box at page right top....those are the folks that will jump on it right away. I rarely post there as I do not monitor it frequently. I simply "read" items of interest.

Have a GREAT day!
CA1189260

I went to the site to upgrade and while doing so I realized that it read 'the upgrade was for those who are upgrading from mill. me to window xp. Hopefully I read it correctly, I might need to start from square one. Thanks for your time.Maureen