Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1753943 Members
9042 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Error on HP CDwriter DVD Combo 9900 Series

CA855193

Error on HP CDwriter DVD Combo 9900 Series

The CD Writer start blinking when CD tray is closed and never detect the CD's, I cannot use it. And the event viewer shows me (Event ID 11) The driver detected a controller error on \Device\CdRom2.
10 REPLIES 10
CA1022445

Re: Error on HP CDwriter DVD Combo 9900 Series

I have the same error. I have to close the door. When I closed the door hard, the CD worked.
CA1118515
Advisor

Weard, but nevertheless try to crosscheck the unit on another PC, and check if the behavior persists.
If it does, well my guess is that the unit has an HW problem.
If it doesn├В┬┤t, then the problem is in your PC, chipset update and check the data transfer if DMA is enabled, and the PIO mode set to 4 in BIOS.
The Combo should ne installed as SMA.
Reg
Douglas_33

I am having similar problems. Any disk I put into the drive is not recognized (except on extremely rare occasions). Has anyone solved this issue yet? My drive started doing this maybe a month after I bought it, and I'm very disappointed in HP.
Andariel

This is happening to my CD writer drive too (as I posted earlier in the thread "M Drive cannot be read at all")

It simply doesn't detect any CD put into the CD writer at all.... I can't burn CDs anymore *cries*
Douglas_33

It sounds like HP should recall this drive. I have had luck with older double sided DVDs. I'm not sure why, but it does lead me to believe it's a hardware failure. I also suspect the disc is not spinning up at all. If anyone has a suggestion for fixing this problem, we would all be very appreciative.
Andariel

My CD Writer isn't even the same brand.... mines is a CD Writer Plus, and I dunno what model number.

We need solutions V_V I don't think this CD drive is gonna fix itself anytime soon.
Kete

i have the same problem. it is definitely a mechanical fault in the hardware cuz when i bang on it, the cd starts reading. i thought i got a good deal when i first bought this, but indeed, i'm also very disappointed in hp.
Kete

about recalling the hardware, i highly doubt it will ever happen. if they do, i will not only start buying strictly hp products but highly recommend their products to people around me. (guarantee is always a great thing). so far, i have been trying to stay away from hp and give good advice to people around to do the same. they got great printers, tho!
CA1223582

I've had this problem too, if I try to have windows update the driver it usually fixes itself--even if it says it cannot update the driver all of the sudden it works.