3963 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion

HELP- Broken Unit?

Keven Tipping_3
Occasional Contributor

HELP- Broken Unit?

Greetings to all.

I recently won a auction on Ebay. HP 20XT Library.

The unit was working, however, the shipper had gone to test it, left it plugged in, and apparently it got hit by a lightning surge or something and stopped functioning. It is unknown if the unit was turned on or not at the surge point.

I am unsure if I should tell the guy to ship it to me, apparently it doesn't work anymore due to the surge.

Does anyone know if the 20XT Library has a removable fuse that may have blown- and if not, what sort of Powersource the unit contains should I choose to get the unit shipped up here and if it needs a replacement? Is it AT/XT Style, or custom?

Would a power surge like this (its not like the lightning hit the house, it was just a power surge) phsyically damage the internal components, or would the Powersource take the brunt of the blast and save the internal components?

Or is this unit not worth the fixing?? I am unknowledgable about damaged equipment when it comes to surges.

Thanks,
Keven Tipping
1 REPLY 1
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP- Broken Unit?

The 20XT was tested quite extensively with power surges and dips and shouldn't fail from a simple power surge. It doesn't have a replaceable fuse. It should have a built in self resetting circuit breaker. If the unit is unplugged and disconnected for a while (I'd wait at leadt 5 minutes) the breaker should reset if it tripped.

It's been a long time, but as I recall the supply was based on a standard PC power supply but that it had to have a custom connector. If you want to tackle changing a connector you should be able to get an off the shelf replacement supply. Don't forget to reattach the load resistor if you change the supply. That unit doesn't draw enough power to turn on a standard PC supply so it requires a load resistor.

I'd probably ask that the drive be hooked to an external supply and tested to make certain there wasn't something else wrong before spending much time and money on it.