Optical Jukeboxes and Drives
1748128 Members
3516 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HP 660ex -- Changing to target mode

Murray Dietrich

HP 660ex -- Changing to target mode

I have a 660ex that is currently running in LUN mode. We have been having some issues with it and my software vendor wants to change to target mode.
This is easy enough to accomplish on the jukebox and I can configure my SCSI card to forget about LUN support. All seems well, I can reboot and see the jukebox and all six drives.
However, now when I get into NT (SP5) HP Library&Tape Tools isn't able to work with the drives. It can see the target, the type of drive/jukebox and the firmware rev of it, but it can't read diagnostic info from it. Worse, neither can any of my other sofware.

Anyone have ideas? Why would LT&T not be able to talk to the drive when it can see where it is and what type it is?
8 REPLIES 8
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
if you run L&TT in miniport mode, you will see if the devices are already managed by another aplication, be sure to stop all services that could take ownership of the devices (usualy these are Backup Sw)

bye

marino
Murray Dietrich

I get a: "LT&T cannot find miniport driver for this device" error when I use miniport in LT&T. This is exactly the same when the jukebox is in target or LUN mode.

Doesn't seem particularly related to the problem, but I'll see if I can get the miniport stuff working. (the jukebox is quite functional right now without it)
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Again, L&TT may have problem accessin to a device who is already managed by some aplication,
and use or Miniport driver or Aspi driver to access the device.
The application you are using may access a different way the device, that is why the JB work.
anyway, use the last version of L&TT, actualy 2.9, and be sure to stop all the services that can access to the device
bye
marino
Murray Dietrich

There are definitely no applications locking LT&T (version 2.9). When we have the jukebox in LUN mode, LT&T sees everything just fine. (with exactly the same set of services running)
John Griffith_3
Valued Contributor

Hello Murray,

In reality if you utilize ASPI mode it doesn't matter if another application/driver has claimed the drives or not.

If you could send the event log from ltt after trying to run this when it fails I can take a look and see if I can pull some more information from there.

Send the message to the ltt team mailbox (ltt_team@hp.com) attention to John Griffith I'll take a look and see if I can help.

Thanks,
John
Murray Dietrich

Thanks for the offer. HP hardware support was just in and verified that the jukebox works in target mode on one of their computers. The LTT support guys took a peek at the error logs/event log/support ticket and said everything looks fine.
As weird as it sounds, it looks like it must be a problem with the PC it's attached to. (I've already replaced the SCSI card on it) I'm going to rebuild that PC and I'll post to this thead if it solves the problem.
Murray Dietrich

I tried a different PC -- same result. Switched to differential -- same result.
Switched to W2K -- it works in target mode.

My application won't work with W2K so I'm back to addressing the original issue, now denoted as a problem with NT.
Thoughts anyone? How could LUN vs Target mode be causing a problem in NT? We know that the hardware is working the way it should.
(amusingly, it also works under the HP support Win98 laptop!)
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Did you check SCSI Ids? There should be 7 devices from the library using 7 SCSI Ids (autochanger+6 drives) and one more device - SCSI adapter (usually SCSI Id=7). Are there any conflicts? Which SCSI Id is used for adapter?
Eugeny