108792 Solutions
New Discussion

HP8230e and Nero/WinOnCD in Win2K

SOLVED
Go to solution
mike bazan
Advisor

HP8230e and Nero/WinOnCD in Win2K

I have no luck burning audio using Nero or WinOnCD DAO mode. TAO seems OK but that is not a solution to the problem.

MyCD works OK.

Any clues anyone? Maybe this drive not fully supported by Nero & WinOnCD?

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. - Hp forum moderator

18 REPLIES 18
CdRWizard
Advisor

Re: HP8230e and Nero/WinOnCD in Win2K

What does the device manager reconise the CD-Writer as? Would it be CDROM by any chance?
http://www.cdwritersolutions.20m.com
mike bazan
Advisor

Yes it does.

The device manager doesn't give the correct device type "hp etc..." which is what HP documentation says should be happening.

That was another question I had for HP online support but they couldn't/wouldn't give me an answer. They advise to use the supplied software which isn't a solution to my problem. I have been suspecting that Win2k applies it's own drivers to the device rather than using the HP drivers. Maybe this could be causing the problem?

I just can't believe that HP haven't tested the hardware using some of the most popular 3rd party software & discovered this bug.
CdRWizard
Advisor
Solution

This issue is nothing to do with the recording software, I think. Its more than likely the fact the Writer is not being reconised correctly in the Device manager is the cause of this problem. Whats actually happening is the standard Windows driver for the CDROM is being used instead of the actual HP drivers.
Try the following:
Download usbver39.exe from:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/software/usbver39.exe.html
Oncne downloaded run the exe file and take note of where the driver files are being extracted too. I suggested backing those files onto floppy.
Go into the Device manager and click on 'Univerisal Serial Bus Controllers' and the CD-Writer should be listed, double click on the Writer and go into 'Drivers', try and update the driver using the newly drivers download (make sure you specify the location of the drivers).
If this did not work try removing all traces of the CD-Writer and start again.
mike bazan
Advisor

Thanks Wizard.

I can't try your suggestion yet as I am currently travelling & don't have the burner with me.

Did however download & extracted the drivers. They actually start installing automatically but then advise that current drivers are up to date.

Next week will be back at desk & try to change drivers as you suggested.

BTW - you say to change drivers on the USB device but not CDRom device? Under USB it gives the correct device name (i.e. HP etc...), but under CDRom/DVD it just shows as CDRom.

If this all works you'll get 20 points from me for sure!

Even if it doesn't thanks for your help!
CdRWizard
Advisor

Yeah you are right to question the point about the USB controller reconising the CD-Writer correctly. I always found that updating the driver through this works best but if it does not you can try updating via the CDROM, its the same.
Let me know how you get on.
mike bazan
Advisor

Hey there Wiz.

No luck with your suggestion.

In device manager I have:

Under DVD-ROM Drive..
DVD-Rom Dive (the HP)
Compaq DVD ROM DRN8040b
drivers for both devices are:
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\CDROM.sys
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\REDBOOK.sys
C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\STORPROP.dll

Under USB Controllers..
HP USB CDWRITER PLUS
driver is C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\HPUATA.sys

When I install the drivers the harware wizard cuts in & I can choose to let the wiz search or specify. For the USB device I point to where the drivers are and it returns with driver file HPUATA.INF. So far so good.

Now this makes no difference to the device under DVD-ROM Drive so I next try to install this from the HP driver files. Using the wiz to search I point it to the HP driver files and it comes back with driver C:\WINNT\INF\CDROM.INF (which is the existing driver I reckon). I next try to use the wiz to specifiy driver files so I point to the HP file location & it shows me 3 .inf files:

EUIOSMSD.INF
HPIOSATA.INF
HPUATA.INF

If I select any of these 3 files the message is returned :"The specified location does not contain information about your hardware", & so I am back to square 1.

Any further advice would be appreciated.

mb
Chris Sullivan
Occasional Advisor

I replied also to another thread on this topic. I've tried Nero with 3 different 8230e units. Only one works with disc at once under identical conditions. This unit was bought about 6 months earlier than the other two. The working unit identifies itself as an 8200a, while the non-working units identify themselves as 8200f.

HP advises that the Recordnow software should be used with certain units. The Recordnow software does disk to disk copies, but uses track-at-once (we tried it with an audio CD that doesn't have any track gaps, and recordnow inserted them).

So I don't think the problem is Nero - I think it's the later model "f-type" 8230. So I'm forced to conclude that this unit doesn't work to specification, having being changed from a model with the same designation that did work properly.

This is particularly irritating since both my colleague and I bought one of these units based on the performance of the one that the company bought.

HP Tech Support eventually put me through to their customer satisfaction rep. I got his voicemail and haven't heard back yet, but will advise this forum about the outcome.
ying xiong_1

Oh, I have exactly the same problem when using nero with my HP8230e. Can we just find the 8200a firmware and "upgrade" (in fact, downgrade) from f to a? That may work. If I know where is the proper firmware, I would like to take the risk.
mike bazan
Advisor

My firmware version is 1.0a.

Maybe it's a completely different drive? The maker is Sony but I wouldn't risk trying a Sony firmware & I don't know if there is one available.