1751975 Members
4508 Online
108784 Solutions
New Discussion

SEVERE Problem: Stuck in DNLD Mode

Keven Tipping_5

SEVERE Problem: Stuck in DNLD Mode

Greetings to all!

I have had a older HP 20XT unit working for me for quite a while now. The unit was purchased second-hand and I bought brand new disks for the drive (times 16, Verbatim 1.3gb disks). The unit has been backing my critical data up via ArcServe 11 for the entire time, since I don't like Tapes for my particular data Optical seemed like the way to go (I backup nightly, afaik Tapes are good for X amount of Passes, I can't afford to change them all the time).

Unfortunately I have run into a **SEVERE** problem with the Library. My SCSI controller (now I know it was the SCSI Card, not the Library) was acting up so I took it to a local Repair shop, and asked them if they could plug it into a PC and let Windows install the unit as a Removable drive. I gave them a disk and said excately what to do with it through the front panel, and then test it out to make sure the drive is still live.

Well. Not only did the fools test the drive, they "Diagnosed" it. Luckly I took my 16 Disks worth of very expensive data out of the library beforehand.

I recieved the Library back today after a nice $130 Bill for Diagnosing the Library. They said it works just fine, and promptly took my money to get rid of me.

I plugged my drive in, fully intending to get my Backups going again after a night of torture knowing nothing was protected.

Well, long story short, the Drive is stuck in DNLD DNLD mode. Apparently the store ran some sort of Diagnostic software on the drive, I don't know why or how but it involved "downloading Diagnostic Files" to the Flash on the Drive/Controller.

They refuse to give me my money back for killing the Library. I also threatened that the unit, let alone the Disks set me back some MAJOR money and that they could buy me a nice new HP Optical Library if they didn't fix the thing. Last thing I heard was that they didn't know how to fix the Firmware. They must have Caller ID because I can't get through anymore.

Unfortunately I don't have the money to replace the Controller and I would think that it can be reflashed somehow, it IS stuck in DNLD mode so I would think that you can transfer the firmware over to it somehow.

I hear HP L&TT can do it but I need some Factory Override password. Does anyone know how I may aquire this password to fix the drive that the lovely store "Diagnosed"? I really need this drive working ASAP.

Thanks!
Keven Tipping