New Discussion юеВ

Re: Support Write-once opticals on Windows 2000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Klaas D. Eenkhoorn
Regular Advisor

Support Write-once opticals on Windows 2000

Dear All,

Recently i've installed in my home situation a HP Surestore 40fx unit on a Windows 2000 system.
For hobby purposes i'd like to use this library to write write-once opticals to archive files.
In the helpfile of Windows 2000 is written that these disks are not standard supported by the os and that i need additional software.

What software can i use to write them and is that software expensive ?
Are there free versions of it ?

Kl@@s Eenkhoorn
2 REPLIES 2
romano r
Frequent Advisor
Solution

Hello,
usually this kind of libraries are handled by some kind of storage software, u can found some info at "legato.com", "veritas.com", "qstar.com",... search also for HSM storage software.
About the prices It may vary upon the application, for sure u can find some trial; I use Netbackup Storage Migrator by Veritas under HP-UX (there is also a WIN release)... but it is a very very expensive software!!!

Bye
Romano
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

If you are going to use it for hobby purposes it is probably best to just use regular media and set the write protect switch. All of the software I've seen is commercial and expensive.

An alternative that might work is using Linux. I've heard that Linux can be used to write on write-once media without any commercial software but I don't know how to configure it it.