1753792 Members
6977 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: win2k doesn't recognize 9100i

Paul Hammerstrom
Occasional Contributor

win2k doesn't recognize 9100i

Just upgraded to a WD 800JB SE. I installed the wrong HP CD-writer software by mistake. I installed P/N C4459-18142 which is for Win98. After I installed windows would not run. Re-booted in safe mode uninstalled the software. Now win2k does not recognize the drive. Not only does it not recognize th 9100i but I have an older CD/DVD that I tried and it doesn't see that either. If I go to device manager it says: This device is not working properly because, Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31). If I boot on the old drive with win2k it sees the either the 9100i or the other CD/DVD. How can I remedy this situation without re-installing win2k? I alread tried uninstalling the drive then re-installing it.

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to Optical Jukeboxes & Drives. - hp forum moderator

1 REPLY 1
Lance Brown
Esteemed Contributor

Re: win2k doesn't recognize 9100i

Go into device manager, do to the drives that do not work and right click on them. Then select uninstall. Then install the software for 2000 and reboot.

You could also tell it to scan for hardware changes. Right click on it and tell it to scan for hardware changes.

As a last resort, try deleting the three files associated with the drives. N device manager, right click on one of the drives. Click properties, then driver and then driver details. Get rid of those three files and reboot.

Lance