New Discussion юеВ

Overheating laptop

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fernando007
Visitor

Overheating laptop

Hi

I own an Elitebook 2540p along with its docking station, I bought both from my employer as a mean to own something a little bit more powerful than a regular laptop plus the ability of plugging a full scale monitor for better handling.

I upgraded it to win 10 since last year and though some RAM was added, it works (or used to work) flawlessly until some few days ago, I started experiencing some misterious system shut-downs and iregular fan noises, I had it checked and cleaned without any specific issue, however it continues overheating (not always unfortunately) when it is docked (I use it that way 99% of the time) and despite I had some preliminary suspects on the overheating cause (Hard Drive, GPU) I have now realized that it always overheats when docked, checking google for similar cases, I saw Dell users complaining about the same and some guy with a more recent Elitebook experiencing the same problem, therefore my question is if indeed docking stations should be blamed for overheating PC's? My station is placed in a ventilated area (or at least I make sure no obstructions to the airflow are present) and despite most of the time it works fine, now I saw it very hot and wouldn't go on after I restarted it (for some other reason) unless it was unplugged, can anybody provide some hints on this matter? Thank you in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Parvez_Admin
Community Manager

Re: Overheating laptop

Hi Fernando,

Thank you for choosing Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community Forum. You have reached the wrong forum. As it is regarding a HP Laptop so you'll have to post your question in the HP Consumer Support Forum.

Here is the link: HP Notebook Support Forum

Note: Have your Product number handy as experts there will need it to help you further.

Thanks,
Parvez_Admin
I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
CM_Cert_Logo_Color.png
Fernando007
Visitor

Hi dear PZ_Tech.

Would you mind checking attached image and subsequently stating your comments? Tks

Parvez_Admin
Community Manager
Solution

Absolutely..Thank you

2013.JPG

Yes..the above message was true in 2013 [Message posted on 5-15-2013] . But since November 2015, HP has split into two different companies, HP Inc. and Hewlett Packard Enterprise.

All Consumer and Commercial notebooks,printers are handled by HP Inc. So the above message is invalid now . You'll have to post your question in the HP Consumer Forum for Elitebook support.

Thanks,
Parvez_Admin
I work for HPE
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
CM_Cert_Logo_Color.png
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Overheating Elitebook 2540p laptop

>Would you mind checking attached image and subsequently stating your comments?

Instead of pictures, please provide a URL:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Elitebook-2560P-overheating-in-docking-station/m-p/5692808#U2630187

I've added a comment there saying the proper board is:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/bd-p/General