cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vlans 1820-8G / J9979A

Community Manager

Vlans 1820-8G / J9979A

Yoyo,

Let me begin by saying I am novice at web managed switches and I bought one to learn how it can be set up. After looking at a bunch of tutorials on youtube and reading on various forums I am still not able to do what I intended. So as a last resort I decided to describe the setup I want to create and have some kind soul here provide me with easy to follow instructions on how to do it.

I connected some of my home network devices to my 1820-8G / J9979A switch as follows:

port 1 - router (LAN1 on router) - my internet access

port 2 - my PC

port 3 - my NAS

port 4 - my smart TV

port 5 - my network Printer

What I would like to do is to create two diffrent VLANS (let's say VLAN 10 and VLAN 20) and have:

my PC and NAS on VLAN 10

my smart TV on VLAN 20

leave the printer on VLAN 1?

I would like both VLAN 10 and 20 to have internet access but not be able to comunicate with each other. Also I would like to have VLAN 10 devices be able to use the printer.

How would I go about setting this up?

PS: please ignore the logic of what devices are in this example, I am tryign to learn the basics of VLANs and TRUNK-ing so I  can apply the same in a small business scenario.

2 REPLIES 2
Community Manager

Please find the recommendations below:

KM HTML Test (Autoloader): Primera Troubleshooting Guide (KMHPEg3TOCPrimeraTroubleshooting.zip)
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00041470en_us

HPE Intelligent Management Center Enterprise and Standard Platform Administrator Guide
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00047600en_us

Accept or Kudo

Thank you for being a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Community member
Honored Contributor

Re: Vlans 1820-8G / J9979A

Hi! the HPE OfficeConnect 1820 Switch series doesn't support Layer 3 (Routing) features...so your scenario could not be applied to that particular switch series. The HPE OfficeConnect 1820 Switch is a Layer 2 (Switching) device...so no IP Routing, no ACL (on VLAN)...altough it supports VLAN tagging which is the fundmental step you're requiring.

The idea is to have a routing device able to (easily) apply and manage ACLs, use that device to manage what VLANs can connect to other (managed) VLANs.

Edge devices need to be connected to access ports...access ports need to be set (their membership) as untagged members of required VLANs.

A special care needs the port used to connect to the next hop gateway (generally your Firewall/Router for Internet) because the VLAN membership of that port is strictly dependant on the way one wants to connect your Switch (internal Router) to that particular next hop gateway.

Clearly the above is valid if you decide your Switch will be the router for your VLANs otherwise your Firewall/Router is the alternative...but, at that point, your switch will act as a simple Layer 2 device and all the routing duties will reside on the Firewall/Router (ACL too).

I'm not an HPE Employee
Kudos and Accepted Solution banner