1752798 Members
5698 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: PCM Show DNS Names for End Points in FInd Node Window

brandher1230
Occasional Contributor

PCM Show DNS Names for End Points in FInd Node Window

When I do a Find Node on a switch to show the connected devices, I often do not see all Ip addresses of the connected End Points and I never see the DNS Names. Is there an option which I cannot find to get this fixed

I want to see the server names and workstation names instead of the IP address in the Find Node Result window.

2 REPLIES 2
Chrisd131313
Trusted Contributor

I am not 100% sure about this, but it might be that you need to have dns enabled on the switches. I have a bunch of 2620 switches and they all have the following setup on them...

ip dns domain-name domain.local
ip dns server-address pri 1 <primary_dns>

ip dns server-address pri 2 <secondary_dns>

When I run a "Find Node" I get the hostnames for the switch nodes (I must be missing something in my configurations as I don't even get the IPv4 addresses for the server/workstations, just the MAC addresses).

So I am not sure if the lookup is performed on the switch or from the PCM server, I would make the assumption that it is from the switch.

HTH

-----------------------------------------------------

Don't forget to mark a post resolved if your question was answered.
brandher1230
Occasional Contributor

It looks like my 2650 switches do not support DNS server configuration cause "ip dns...." comes back with "invalid input: dns"

"Show IP" does not evene show an empty Domain Suffix or DNS server

So I tried it on the coreswitch 4204-vl.

dns configuration is possible and works, cause pinging a server via name did resolve ip address.

But find Node still does not show names, just Ip addresses.

I