7177 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

PCM unable to read traffic from switches

Wibo
Occasional Contributor

PCM unable to read traffic from switches

Hello,

I installed PCM 4 to monitor our HP Procurve switches.

We've got 6 switches from which only 2 PCM receives data. On the 4 switches PCM isn't able to collect data, the message Poll port error (verify device is discovered correctly). 

The 4 switches are all Procurve 2524 switches running versions F.04.08 and F.05.17 of the firmware.

One of the switches that can be polled correctly is also a Procurve 2524, but is running version F.05.72 of the firmware.

The 6th switch is a different model.

Could it be possible that due to the older firmware versions that PCM can't poll the switches?

If so, can I easily without problems update the switches to the latest firmware version from PCM?

3 REPLIES 3
Matcol
Frequent Advisor

Re: PCM unable to read traffic from switches

Check what version of SNMP is enabled on the switches.

Wibo
Occasional Contributor

I can't find any indication of what SNMP version the switches are running. From what I can find in the manual, it should be SNMP v2c.

The only difference I can find in the SNMP configuration between the working switch and the other switches is that on the working switch link-change traps are enabled on all ports. I'm unable to activate that on the other switches.

dmesser-hhs
Frequent Advisor

Test the connection to the device.  Right click the device and select "Device Access- Test communication parameters in HP PCM"

This will tell you where the communication is broke.  I am on ver 4 now and there are some bugs where sometimes the devices don't correctly use the settings in the default.  You may have to set the devices individually through the "device access" right click option.