7215 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

Software Upgrade: No Software Image for Device

CafNetMatt
Occasional Contributor

Software Upgrade: No Software Image for Device

PCM+ 4.00.03.541

I have 2 8206zl switches that, whenever I try to perform a software upgrade, I get the following message:

Starting scan...

Information: There are no software images for this device <192.168.5.101>

Refresh complete.

The problem is that there is a newer software version.  When I run Software Upgrade against the same switch model with the same software installed, it sees that it needs upgrading.  These other 2 switches sit in the same subnet as the PCM server.  I have other switches that only have a single IP configured on them that work just fine.

These 82o6zl switches are core switches for 2 locations.  They have multiple vlans, these vlans all have IPs assigned to them and the switch performs routing for these locations.

At first I thought the issue may be that I discovered the switch from the vlan that we use for management instead of the vlan closest to PCM (which would be the transit vlan).  I got device syslog and snmp events to work by setting 'ip source-interface' and 'snmp-server trap-source' respectively.  This did not fix the Software Upgrade issue.

I then removed the switches from PCM and manually rediscovered them using the IP of the transit vlan which is the vlan closest to the PCM server.  Still having the issue.

Any recommendations on getting these switches to update?  Configurations are importing fine, device syslog, events, and the configuration tab shows newer software versions.  It just won't update via the Software Upgrade feature.

Thanks for any help!

Matt

1 REPLY 1
Peter Jakobsen
Occasional Advisor

Re: Software Upgrade: No Software Image for Device

Hello,

In PCM under preferences --> Global --> Configuration Management you need to check that PCM has the latest firmware file from HP

PCM gets the file from ftp.hp.com/pub/networking/software/procurve_firmware.prp

This file contains all firmware that PCM can download and install. Since this a normal text file you can open and edit the file

This file eventually lands on the PCM server in two folder

c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PCM\pcm-agent\data\download\

c:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PCM\server\data\download\

When PCM download firmware for devices it uses this file to see which goes to which device. The SNMP OID for the device is the key.

* Download the latest file from with in PCM and verify that the file is on the PCM server in the folders above (not sure if it will download to both folder)

* If the firmware update still fails, check to see that the OID of the device is in firmware file.

You can by the way change the contenst of procurve_firmware.prp to any firmware version for any given device. This might be in handy if you get a version from support that is not published on the WEB, and you want PCM push this out to all your devices. I done this trick for the last 5 years.

Remember to put the procurve_firmware.prp in both folders along with the firmware files.

Procurve_firmware.prp contains only software released on the WEB.

Regards,

Peter