Planning
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

32-bit COBOL with 64-bit Oracle

Respected Contributor

32-bit COBOL with 64-bit Oracle

We produce an application that user C, Proc, COBOL and Oracle 8i on HP-UX 11.00. Currently everything is 32-bit. I want to release the next version of our application on Oracle 9i. My problem is that 9i is 64-bit only on HP-UX but HP COBOL is 32-bit only. I would, therefore, have to link my 32-bit COBOL shared libraries with a 64-bit Oracle shared library (libclntsh.sl) and, according to HP "Linking 32-bit and 64-bit object files (.o, .sl, .a) together is not supported. All modules in a program must be linked from either 32-bit objects or 64-bit objects." What can I do?
13 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: 32-bit COBOL with 64-bit Oracle

I suppose the best would be to get a 64bit version of COBOL.
In the mean time, you could have another oracle (client) install (32bit version) for the client only.
link the client to 32bit libclntsh.sl and access to the 9i database.

Jean-Luc
fiat lux
Respected Contributor

Jean-Luc,
from the information HP have given me, the COBOL compiler is 32-bit only. Having said that, the answer seems to be that, accoring to Oracle's Metalink, Oracle 9i comes with 32 and 64 bit libraries so I can create a 32-bit application and run it in a 64-bit environment. My application does not need to be 64-bit so I am happy that it remains 32-bit.
Exalted Contributor

Oracles Application server 9ias works on either 32 bit or 64 bit OS. My oracle dba says the same thing for 9i database. You can go all 32 bit if you need.

We've actually had a similar issue. We have to leave an old applicaiton on an older server, simply because its cobol compiler, in this case Microfocus will not work on a 64 bit OS(We are migrating everything else to a trio of L2000, I mean rp5450 boxes.

cestl la vive

Hope this helps.
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Respected Contributor

Steven,
all the information I have from Oracle is that there is no32-bit version of the Oracle 9i RDBMS. They do provide you with the ability to build a 32-bit Oracle application but the database itself is 64-bit only.
Honored Contributor

Hi, Ian

Cobol also comes with 32 and 64 bits version, But installing 64 bit cobol on 64 bit OS doesn't work(we have tried this many times, finally settled to 32 bit cobol).
Whereas Oracle 9i doesn't give you the option to choose 32 bit or 64 bit. If the OS is 64 bit(hp-ux on L-1000/2000, rp2450,rp5450 etc)installed oracle libraries will be of 64 bit, if the OS is 32bit(hp-ux on any D class m/c's) installed oracle libraries will be of 32 bit.

In our product(IBM MQ series)we are using the same link mechanism (32 bit cobol and oracle 9i on rp2450 and rp5450) it works well.
never give up
Respected Contributor

Ravi,
I am confused. You say that you are running Oracle 9i on a 32-bit version of HP-UX. But the release notes from my Oracle 9i CD say "Oracle 9i is offered in a 64-bit version only. You can run both 32 and 64-bit Oracle executables on a 64-bit system. You can install HP-UX as 32-bit but you must install it as 64-bit to run Oracle 9i".
Honored Contributor

Hi (again) Ian,

We have 11.0/11i running on D330/390 models(which supports run 32 bit OS only) and oracle 9i installed. Since the OS is 32 bit the application running also should be of maximun 32 bit. Because we can't run 64 bit application on a 32 bit OS.
never give up
Respected Contributor

Hi (again) Ravi,
when I first started looking at Oracle 9i, I raised a call with Oracle to see when they would be bringing out a 32-bit version and their reply was that they would not be. This is backed up by the Metalink product certification matrix and the 9i release notes.
Now that you have told me that you are running in a 32-bit environment I will raise another call with Oracle and ask them to explain this apparent contradiction. Perhaps it runs but is not supported? I will let you know what Oracle say.
Honored Contributor

Hi Ian

Pls ask oracle.
whereas we have oracle 9i instances running onboth 32/64 bit hp-ux with MF Cobol 32 bit.
never give up
Respected Contributor

I contacted Oracle via Metalink and reminded them what they had previously told me. I then told them that you were running 9i on 32-bit HP-UX and their reply was ...
Hi,
Your earlier information is correct. There is no 32 bit oracle s/w for 9i on hp-ux .
Please check with your friend. I guess there is some confusion.
Regards
Rajnish
Honored Contributor

Hi,Ian

we have oracle 9i rel 1 & 2 downloaded from otn, which we installed on both hp 32/64 bit OS ( i.e hp-ux on D-class, L-class, N-class machines)which are also running cobol 32 bit.
never give up
Respected Contributor

Hi Ravi,
I told Oracle that you were not mistaken and suggested that, during your Oracle installation, the Oracle executables would be relinked with 32-bit libraries and you would, therefore, be running a 32-bit version of Oracle 9i. Here is Oracle's response.
Hi,
Please have a look at the following Note

<29732.1> HP-UX:Compatibility Matrix: Server

Please ask him to run the following command and check:-
1) For Operating system:-
/bin/getconf KERNEL_BITS

2) For Oracle
From SQL*Plus:
SQL> select * from v$version;

Installing the 64 bit oracle on 32 bit m/c is "not supported" by us. In case of any issues arising out of the mentioned scenario, we will not be able to help much.

Regards
Rajnish
Honored Contributor

//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event