Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on PC Server Config for a Small Office

SOLVED
Go to solution
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Advice on PC Server Config for a Small Office

Planning to set up a Small Networked Office system with a casual Windows literate owner/GM as the de-facto IT person. A server with a shared printer and about 3-5 desktops and the occasional laptops will comprise this small Office with an option to connect to a shared DSL connection. Their office system will run a custom packaged client/server suite (SYBASE backend and simple ODBC linked client app on the client PC) plus the usual file/print serving. I am seeking advice on:

Server:
What kind.. am looking at a Proliant ML 110 1P (2.8 Ghz P4), with a 1 GB of RAM. And I am confused with storage.. Do I need to go for 4 x 40GB SATA drives with the 1st 2 as the mirrored OS and the other 2 as the Data store? Or will 2 80/160 GB mirrored do with WIndows OS sharing drive space with data..?

Backup System:
What should I use.. am looking at DDS72 and just used Windows Server's built in backup software to backup the server cold.

Networking:
Am looking at a decent 5 port switch with WIFI.. Any suggestions on what will be the most reliable/secure box or should I go with a dedicated switch + a broadand router?

Hakuna Matata.
1 REPLY
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Advice on PC Server Config for a Small Office

That all sounds pretty good.

Server: Depending on the needs of the database, you maybe want some more memory. I think 40GB is plenty for OS and 80/160 should be good enough for Data (160 being the better option).

Backup System: DDS72 is decent. Don't forget the SCSi controller kit. NT Backup works ok for starting out. A better option would be Backup Exec, but if you want to keep it simple.. NT Backup should work just fine.

Networking: Linksys has a decent WiFi combo, multiple options with decent security features (WiFi: 128bit WEP, MAC filter, etc) (Router: NAT, DHCP, limited firewall) (Ports: 4 port, 8 port, 16port). Linksys has both switches and routers or combo's. Real simple to set up too.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)