Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bench marking Server/Data Centre

Jeyakanthan
Occasional Contributor

Bench marking Server/Data Centre

Hi

I am exploring the ways to measure server capacity/benchmark.

I am planing to use TPC-C.(tpmC-Transactions per Minute) as most of our servers have database(OLTP) transactions. If I want to bench mark whole of the datacentre(set of servers) how should I do so? Can I add this(tpmC) values for all the servers? Or is there any better way to do that?

Please advice.
Thanks

Rgds
Jeya
4 REPLIES
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: Bench marking Server/Data Centre

Jeya, are you benchmarking your servers to determine how your configurations stack up against published TPC-C's? We use glance/measureware and perfview to collect and report our performance statistics. The problem I have with any kind of standardized "performance testing" programs is that they never capture how the real world behaves, especially when you have a group of servers that work together to solve problems. I'm not sure if I helped you at all, but I wish you good luck!

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Jeyakanthan
Occasional Contributor

Harry,Thanks so much for your reply.
I wonder whether I conveyed my question correctly. My problem is I need to quantify the server capacity. I am planning to use tpmC (TPC-C). So if there are so many servers what can I do so? Can I add up all the tpmC values? Or is there any other better way to this?

Thanks so much.
Jeya (kjeya@hotmail.com)
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Jeya, that's a tough one because of the interdependencies. I would guess you could use each servers tpmC numbers individually, but I don't think you could sum them together and get a fair representation of how many transactions you can process in a certain time period unless a group of servers are performing the same task - like a cluster of application servers servicing a single application.

I would look at it from an application view and determine which servers belong to that group and maybe use the tpmC numbers (for just that group) as a whole.

Capacity planning is an art, because you have to know when to generalize and when to be specific.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Jeyakanthan
Occasional Contributor

Harry,many thanks.
As you mentioned,I wonder whether just adding up of TPC-C figures will work. My aim is to compare the server capacities before and after we purchased a new set of servers. I wonder whether are there any other better ways to do this? Most of our servers are used as OLTP servers.Any ideas?
Jeya