Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Compaq Tru64 & Alpha

Occasional Visitor

Compaq Tru64 & Alpha

What is happening to Tru64 and Alpha? There is a VERY short blurb in the HP RoadMap White Paper, but nothing near informative enough to base business decisions on. The server and desktop situations have been pretty well explained, but in many ways they are minutiae compared to the critical nature and investment in the larger unix systems. We (the customer base) need a fuller explanation of HP's plans and we need it quickly.
3 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Compaq Tru64 & Alpha

Jack,

You are right in that more info is required quickly... but I think it's unlikely that any information will be forthcoming from the forums... with a few exceptions we're not HP or Compaq employees.

That said if I was going to hazard a guess at what will happen to Tru64 this would be it:

- Further Tru64 development (i.e. new features/functionality) to be wound up in next 6-8 months.
- Existing Tru64 user base to be supported for about another 4-5 years. HP do have a fairly good record on supporting systems while customers are still using them (witness MPE)
- Tru64 features (cluster filesystem & clustering) to begin to appear in HPUX in about 12-18 months.
- Migration tools to become available in 2-3 years.

I know there isn't a lot of detail, but the bottom line is that Tru64 will be phased out in favour of HPUX, ergo don't invest in Tru64 technology from now on - I know thats harsh but thats the course I'd take if I were in your position.

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
Occasional Visitor

but who at HP is speaking 'officially'?

If Tru64 features are integrated into HP Unix that is fine - I don't care what they call it. Migration tools needed sooner and free - very ugly to expect customers to have to wait & pay extra.
Honored Contributor

Hi Jack,

Thanks for the message. As Duncan points out, these forums are intended for peer-peer communication for the exchange of knowledge, best practices and tips. They have been a wonderful resource for many long-time users, and the point system has provided a way to acknowledge the outstanding contributions of active members such as Jim Ferguson, Clay Stephenson, Patrick Walleck, etc.

That being said, there are hp folks who try to assist in the forums from time to time. This is one time, however, that is quite difficult to answer your question. While the company may not be ready to announce specific plans at this time, the merger does give the new HP a unique opportunity to combine the best from both pre-merger HP and Compaq.

The amount of information coming out is steady, and is generated by a number of different product groups. The greatest amount of information that would likely address your question is probably going to be found off the primary hp.com portal. I would say to look for further communications in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
Dan

PS: welcome to the ITRC Forums...I noticed you had just joined.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event