Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Configure Autoraid 12H for Openmail

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Occasional Contributor

Configure Autoraid 12H for Openmail

I have a D390 with an attached AUtoraid. The Autoraid contains two controllers and 12 disks. Through SAM I can see several LUN's have been set up already. 2 LUN's for 30 Gb each, 1 LUN for 16GB, and another LUN for 2 GB. The paths are 8/8.1.1, 8/8.1.2, 8/8.1.3, and 8/8.1.0 respectively.

There is also another controller at 10/12.0 . The Autoraid 12H has 2 controllers in it. Do I need to configure anything on this additional controller? It does not show up in SAM, Disks and File Systems, but does show up in an ioscan.

I would like to remove these LUN's and start with a fresh system. This system was previously used for some testing, which is why some of the LUNS are set the way they are. I plan on using this for Openmail 6.0 and am curious as to how to remove the existing LUN's and what the optimal setup for Openmail may be? I do not need all 78 GB of space for my messge store. I have about 5 GB of email on our existing openmail system and figure if I had 15 or 20 GB of space, I would be fine.

Is thre some documentation as to describe what I am looking to do?
"Just anbother western guy with desires I can't satisfy"
4 REPLIES
Trusted Contributor

Re: Configure Autoraid 12H for Openmail

The 12h is set up to have 2 controlers, one is the primary and the 2nd lies silent until the first fails, thats why SAM only sees one. What some people do is set up some luns from the ioscan to use each controler with the opposite one used as backup for better IO performance. Either way you set yours up, HP recomends at least 4 LUN's be set up for good performance whether you use 1 or 2 controlers.
Occasional Contributor

Is there some documentation you can direct me towards that will give me the steps needed to remove the existing LUN configuration and set up a new set of LUN's? Also, is the size of the LUN's related to the amount of data? For example, I have about 6 GB of email. I expect this to grow but for now, I only plan on using about 20 GB of the 78 GB on the Autoraid for the openmail message store. Would the system perform better if I had that 20 GB made up of 2 10GB LUN's or, 4 5GB LUN's? Is there a limit as to how many LUN's I can set up? I have used LVM to set up disks and such before, but have never set up an Autoraid.
"Just anbother western guy with desires I can't satisfy"
Frequent Advisor

A good place to start for manuals on the 12H, is the HP website - docs.hp.com.

Setting up the AutoRaid is not as daunting as it first appears. You can maintain the LUN's (ie, remove/recreate) through SAM if you are not comfortable with the command line.

As far as LVM is concerned, the LUN's appear as if they are physical disks. How you configure the LUN's is entirely up to you, but you can only have a max of 8 LUN's. If your AutoRaid is not fully populated with hard drives, it pays to create only 4 to 6 LUN's (leave a few spare LUN's if you intend to add more disks in the future). The AutoRaid will use a certain amount of disk for redundancy and hot spare. The space allocated for the hot spare will be the size of the largest disk in the array. Not sure how it calculates redundancy. The AutoRaid will use approx 25% of total space. Use the following commands to work out what is being used at the moment.

#arraydsp -i
(this will return the AutoRaids serial number)
#arraydsp -a serial_no | more

Assuming you don't require any of the data currently on the AutoRaid (if you do, back it up first), you can destroy the Logical Volumes and Volume Groups first (eg, lvremove and vgremove) and then remove the LUN's - can do it all in SAM.

To remove the LUN's in SAM, go to "Disks and File Systems" and then "Disk Devices". Highlight the LUN you wish to remove (the LUN should appear as Unused, if it is LVM, remove the LVM first) and then from the Actions drop-down menu select "Disk Array Maintenance" and then "Unbind". It may take a few minutes to unbind (remove) the LUN. Once all the LUN's have been removed, you can begin recreating them.

Before creating the LUN's, determine the number and size of the LUN's to create. I usually make them all the same size.

Assuming you are still in SAM, highlight the "HP AutoRaid Disk Array Controller" and then from the Actions drop-down menu select "Disk Array Maintenance" and then "Bind LUN". The LUN's will be numbered 0 to 7. Repeat until all the LUN's are created. Now just treat them as normal disks and use LVM to setup the logical volumes and file systems.

Some points to ponder:

Hopefully your O/S doesn't reside on your AutoRaid. If it does, you will need to work out whether you can remove enough LUN's without affecting the LUN's that hold the O/S.

The AutoRaid handles all the RAID 0/1 and RAID 5 configurations behind the scenes. For better performance leave some of the disk space unallocated (if you can), so that the AutoRaid will use it for RAID 0/1. It also uses the space allocated for hot spare and redundancy as RAID 0/1 until it needs it for recovery.

Make use of both Controllers. When you configure the volume groups, you should be able to choose which hardware path is the primary for each LUN. For example, if you intend to use 2 LUN's to make up one volume group, try the following.

For the first LUN use the hardware path 8/8.1.1 (this is probably the default, the alternate path should be 10/12.0.1 from the info you have given in your initial question). For the second LUN, use 10/12.0.2 (the alternate should be 8/8.1.2). This will balance the I/O load across the controllers.

Hope this helps.
Honored Contributor

Your using an Autoraid for Openmail ? very brave. The autoraids are particularly slow disk devices. Openmail is I/O intensive. You would be better off using normal disks or a Jamaica, they would be much much faster.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event