5836 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Designing a shared storage with 1.5PB for two physical/virtual servers

binu_mathew
Frequent Advisor

Designing a shared storage with 1.5PB for two physical/virtual servers

Hi EveryOne,

I have a requirement of sizing a storage solution for 2 servers which are in Hyper-V. I have thought of many options like 3PAR. MSA, Even StorageOnce as NAS. But all these end up with huge cost or some other challange . Anyone has any idea to size a cheap solution for the below requirement.

I have the application server where it has to storage data of 1.5 PB. This server can be a virtual server inside Hyper-V with OS cluster or I can take out these server into 2 physical server with OS cluster. The storage requirement is to make a shared storage for my huge Data ( mainly files, video, documents etc..) which is about 1.5 PB usable( this is the data size after 5year and staring will be around 250TB). Which is the cheapest option available.

Also I need the same storage for DR and replication primary to DR. Even I can think of some double take solution if it is not available with storage

I have tried the below options,

1) 3 x MSA 2040 storage shared over SAN -> For this the price is ok but its take lots of rack space and moreover the single volume size is only 16TB.So so many volumes needs to be created.

2) 3PAR StoreServ. -> The only reason I cant choose this is because of high price.

3) This Option I thought with two or three D6020 enclosure attached to a DL 380 Server and using windows storage space feature make it as iSCSI storage and present to the Application server. -> Here the challange is , this solution is depends on the windows OS and its not meant for enterprise software defined storage.

4) The storevirtul option again need to have network RAID for high availability and one full set capacity has to dedicate only for HA.

Appreciate advice and suggestion from Experts on the above options or Even a better and cheap options .

5 REPLIES 5
binu_mathew
Frequent Advisor

A small correcion to the post.

For MSA option its 140Tb single lun with 16 drives. If we fully populate the MSAwith 96*10TB it is 960TB, we cant use this capacity as per my understand as I coudl see the storage support upto 560TB only.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

The MSA supports up to 199 drives, see

https://www.hp-pro.net/netcat_files/513/1429/QuickSpecs_HPE_MSA_2042_Storage.pdf

(max. pool capacity is not the complete capacity)

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
binu_mathew
Frequent Advisor

Thanks.

I understand the MSA 2040 can have 512TiB using single large pool capacity. Can we have two pools and utilize the 960TB raw capacity ?

MichaelM55
Trusted Contributor

- What about VMWare VSAN: DL380 Gen9 + (local NVMe) + (local SSD) + (SAS D6000 HDD). Is there any technical guide for a Petabyte build for VSAN with HPE?
- Another option would be multiple HP´s "StorEasy" units which uses Windows server 2016 in latest versions

binu_mathew
Frequent Advisor

I think the best and cheap option is use two MSA storage with FC and connect to storage Easy gateway..  This can be shared as NAS using 10Gbps netowrk on Storage easy gateway. The gateway should be WS2016