Planning
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need JFS Online for MCSG/w VxVM Base Products?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Leslie Fischer
Frequent Advisor

Do I need JFS Online for MCSG/w VxVM Base Products?

I have read that I do not need the Mirror/UX product if I use Veritas VxVm 3.5 to configure the internal root/boot drives. But we are going to configure the oracle database and the application to run on configured VxVM disk groups on the attached EVA 3000 storage system. The EVA manages the RAID 0/1 and RAID 5. Is there any reason that I would need more than the Veritas VxVM 3.5 base product for this? Is there any reason that Veritas Volume Manager is required or needed? Also, is Online JFS needed for any administration or disk maintenance for this type of setup?
3 REPLIES
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Do I need JFS Online for MCSG/w VxVM Base Products?

OnlineJFS given you the ability of extending the VxFS file system n the fly. The base VxVM wont do that. You would require full vxVM for that. The OnlineJFS is based on LVM, while vxVM is volume manager in itself. The choice is between vxVM or LVM (with OnlineJFS)

While OnlineJFS and MCSG offers good option, a Full vxVM offers much more than that. You may want to search the forum for camparison between VxVM and LVM.

Anil
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Leslie Fischer
Frequent Advisor

Thank you for your reply. So are you saying that if I use Veritas VxVM 3.5 base, that I would not be able to extend my volumes and their filesystems on the fly without the full version of Veritas Volume Manager?
RAC_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes you are correct.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK