Did you mean: 

Guidelines for building a Data Centre

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Guidelines for building a Data Centre

Dear experts!

we are currently planning for a new data centre in another region abroad.

please share your experiences as to how my data centre should best be built.

thanking you in advance for your replies

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
11 REPLIES
Duncan Edmonstone
Honored Contributor

Re: Guidelines for building a Data Centre

yogeeraj,

Here's an excellent resource for DC design:

http://www.availability.com/topics/index.cfm?topic=Data%20Center%20Design%20and%20Operations

HP themselves have a lot of experts in DC design - particularly around effective power and cooling - might be worth talking direct to HP.

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

This may be a good start point for you as they seem to be concentrating on the topic. They also have forums, although I never used them:

http://www.datacenterjournal.com/

Solution

A good doc is attached, Have a look at it.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Perhaps, this could help even though it's under research

http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/dac/

-Arun
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

In a word: REDUNDENCY

You want to make absolutely sure that you have enough power distribution units and A/C units to carry the load if 1 unit fails.

Basically, N+1 redundency.

Your entire DC should not be at risk if 1 A/C unit fails or 1 PDU fails.

You also want to make sure that you have sufficient UPS capacity and some sort of other backup power, like a generator, that can take over if utility power is lost.

Design in PLENTY of capacity from the start. I would say to design capacity for at least double the number of machines you currently have, maybe even triple it.

A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

One of the most important things I have learned over the years is to stay away from large datacenter class UPS's. There is nothing inherently wrong with these 50-200KVA beasts except that they usually fall under the care of the maintenance staff rather than directly under the IT staff. The maintenance guys service these things so infrequently that they are often not familiar with the proper operation so that when routine maintenance is required sometimes the UPS is not properly put in bypass mode --- and your entire data center goes dark.

I now use the 1 small (2-5KVA) UPS per rack model and when multiple PDU's are required, I "borrow" power from the adjacent racks. Now, all the maintenance falls back under IT control and hopefully the IT staff is much more familiar with the routine procedures. Now for the really good news: if you adopt the multiple small UPS model, you can generally save enough to buy some real power protection -- a generator. In general, diesel units are cheaper than gaseous-fueled units because diesel engines can be smaller in size for the same output.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

Hi,
see that the connection link between the two centers is distributed on two carriers, of which none should use leased lines from the other.
I.e. get a broadband link from a internet provider via a "QoS"ed VPN and a lower-bandwidth backup from a phone-company.
Or use two equal sized lines and loadbalance them.
Volker
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your precious replies.

Volker:
The other site will be many hours of flight away in another country...

I am currently more concerned about the building up of the Data center and where it should be located etc...

thanks again for your guidances.

kind regards
yogeeraj
No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

Get a good dedicated 50/100 MBPS link between your datacenters. When you have a good connection, let the other data center be at Artic or Alaska :-)

-Arun
Chuck Ciesinski
Honored Contributor

Yogeeraj,

In addition to all the other good responses, might I add that you should also toss in some thoughts about disaster recovery. Is the facilty to be built near an airport, gas station, earthquake fault line, subject to various climatic disasters, think hurricane, tornado, ice storm, or other natural disaster. You also need to think about how to compensate the displaced in the event of a disastre and who will run your systems. Hurricane's Katrina and Rita have taught a lot of US companies a REAL lesson in D/R planning and implementation.

My $.04 for inflation,

Chuck Ciesinski
"Show me the $$$$$"
Jan van den Ende
Honored Contributor

Yogeeraj,

It sounds so trivial, but even at nuclear power station construction they overlooked it (Three Mile Island !).

Have ALL your power AND CONTROL circuits double done (at least), AND constructionwise. make sure NONE of the duplicates EVER use the same duct.
Dual lines are to leave EACH machine on two different sides, and those leave the room/building/area via DIFFERENT pathways, until they meet at the other location(s), again via a separated approach.

Success

Proost.

Have one on me.

jpe
Don't rust yours pelled jacker to fine doll missed aches.