Planning
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

HP-UX RAM size for j2ee & oracle db

Occasional Visitor

HP-UX RAM size for j2ee & oracle db

Hi,

What would be a minimum but decent configuration to be able to run websphere/weblogic j2ee container software together with oracle 9 database, all on the same server. Would be running on HP-UX 11 o/s, 64 bits. Would 1Gig RAM be way to low for all this?
5 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: HP-UX RAM size for j2ee & oracle db

In my opinion this is too low. The oracle9i db processes alone use several hundred MB of RAM, as well as the SGA (Shared memory) size of the database which can be a few hundred more MB. Websphere/weblogic j2ee uses a few hundred also - depends on how you configure it and more importantly how many users would connect to it - the more users the more memory needed. Each one needs some ram. You should really benchmark it first to find out how much each user connection needs ontop of the db. I think you need a minimum of 2Gb.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
We run Oracle 8.1.7 / BEA Weblogic and an application on the same machine.
We have approx 350 sessions in Oracle ( Web / sql / etc )on five databases.
We have installed seven GB of RAM and it is getting tight. Main reason is the webserver
and the java processes. These are eating resources like popcorn.
Suggestion at least 4 GB RAM.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Occasional Visitor

Thanks to the above for such speedy feedback.

I think we can expect up to 50 users on the system, perhaps 25 on average, however there is also likely to be some quite heavy batchtype processing where tens or hundreds of thousands of records are updated once a twice a day, possibly several hundred at a time (i.e. before commit). That's a slight concern of mine.

We will start testing weblogic properly soon. From what I have seen from it so far it takes a long time to start up. 90 seconds.

Looking at Top, when nothing is happening, showed:

weblogic/java - SIZE:474M, RES:113M
oracle processes (ora_xxx_xxx) - SIZE: 513M (each) - SGA is 80M - PGA is 20M

Perhaps 4Gig RAM is a happy medium between your recommendations but I'm surprised (maybe I shouldn't be) at how much memory is being used up.

Thanks.
Trusted Contributor

I've got more bad news for you: Ora 9i (9.0.2) uses significantly more memory for its background processes (DB writer, log-writer, snapshot checker, archiver, checkpointer, etc). I counted up to 3.8 GB on one of our servers that we are testing 9i on.
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
Acclaimed Contributor

Given about 50 Oracle users, I would suggest that 4GB is about your bare bones minimum. The good news is that you might decide to use 3rd-party memory. Typically, it costs about 1/10 as much and I have never had a problem with high quality 3rd-party memory. You can even choose to keep spares in-stock and still save tons of money.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event