cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPUX 11.0 to 11.i

Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

HPUX 11.0 to 11.i

I am planning on upgrading the OS on my server, an L2000, from HPUX 11.0 to HPUX 11.i this weekend. Are there any problems that I should be aware of before I start? I plan on creating a new ignite-UX tape before I start incase I run into any problems.

I have the September 2001 HP-UX 11i application software CD ROM???s, part number 5065-8701. Will I need anything else? Are there any special tricks I should know about?

Any and all help would be great.

Thanks,
Jeff
6 REPLIES
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: HPUX 11.0 to 11.i

I have done that upgrade several times and have had no problems. The 11.0 to 11.11 upgrade does work (unlike the 10.20 to anything) BUT ONLY IF you have enought room in the /stand and / filesystems. I always overrsize those LVOL's for that reason.
If you built with the default sizes, it will probably fail so your best option in that case is a cold install.

I would have /etc/fstab, bdf, ioscan -fn, VG mapfiles done beforehand and hardcopies printed.

I assume that you have known good (non-Ignite backups) available.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

These are the files you should take care before upgradation.

# /.forward
# /.profile
# /etc/profile
# /etc/group
# /etc/hosts
# /etc/inetd.conf
# /etc/inittab
# /etc/nsswitch
# /etc/ntp.conf
# /etc/passwd
# /etc/rc.config.d/netconf
# /etc/rc.config.d/netdaemons
# /etc/rc.config.d/nfsconf
# /etc/resolv.conf
# /etc/sendmail.cf
# /etc/services
# /etc/shells
# /etc/shutdown.allow
# /var/adm/cron/*.allow
# /var/adm/fbackupfiles/*
# /var/spool/cron/crontabs/*
# /sbin/init.d/

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jeff:

There are more recent application CDs than September 2001. You will also need codewords for 11.11 applications that are *not* part of the 11.11 operating environment (OE) that you licensed.

An Ignite 'make_tape_recovery' is always "required" insurance before an update/upgrade [...unless you're an eternal optimist :-)) ]

Regards!

...JRF...
MANOJ SRIVASTAVA
Honored Contributor

Hi Jeff

If you can avoid it then please do avoid an upgrade , I would prefer a cold install , thought there are not much changes in volved. You may like to look at this :

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/5185-6593.pdf

Manoj Srivastava
Jeffrey F. Goldsmith
Super Advisor

I had ordered the latest version of 11i last month but it hasn???t arrived yet. Will the version that I have work?

JRF, you said that I would need some code words for some applications in 11.11. What applications are in 11.11 that I would need to use?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Jeff:

If it were me, why rush; I'd wait until you have the current software. Remember, that you will need iii Application CDs and appropriate codewords for them!

11.11 coms packaged in Operating Environments (OE):

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/pdf/5971-2222.pdf

By example, the base OE called "HP-UX 11i OE" does not contain 'glance'. The next level, called "Enterprise OE" *does* have 'glance' (and other goodies). If you were only licensing 'glance', and were licensed only for the base OE, then you would need/want the current Application CDROM set and a codeword for 'glance'.

Regards!

...JRF...