HPux server is faster than Xeon?

SOLVED
Go to solution
GerGon
Regular Advisor

HPux server is faster than Xeon?

Hi HPux Gurus
We have 3:
HPux 9000/800/L2000-5x, cpu version 2.0 PA8600, 64bits @540Mhz, 1 procesor, 1Gb ram each.

Our global director, wants to change all HPux with one HP ProLiant DL580 G2 X2.8-2M 2Processors (part no. 325134-001) with 6Gb ram.

1rst: What's your opinion to change 3 risc HP L2000 servers for one Xeon P4 @2.7 with two processors, is Xeon more powerfull? Are they equivalents?

2nd: How do I do to find documentacion, where it tell about MIPS by my HP ux and Xeon p4?

3rt: Can you suggest some site or documentacion with benchmarks about this comparative servers?

I disagree with the idea of change xeon for risc...

Can you help me...

Thanks a lot...
5 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: HPux server is faster than Xeon?

There is no way I'd recommend a 3-to-1 PA-RISC to Wintel change. What is his motivation? What applications are you running on teh HP-UX servers?
GerGon
Regular Advisor

Thanks Patrick,

Price, maintenance costs.

We need to upgrade memory and disk, but their cost is high... and we have an agree and pay about $30k per year, $10k per each server.

Then the director, recomend us buy a $35k in a xeon server because it low maintenance cost and easy upgrade, BUT, if we are loosing processing, we don't accept.

We have Oracle 8i and soon 9i, with main application of the company...
Actually, one server have two PA800 and Oracle and OS resources are taking 1.4 of those 2 processors. The other 2 servers are at 65% of their capacity, always with Oracle...
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor
Solution

I am not sure what OS you are planning to run on this dual Xeon intel platform, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be windows.

Under no circumstances, I would go for this exchange for 2 reasons :

1. Windows, despite what you read in the MS biased IT press, is not capapble of handling uptimes nowhere near an HPUX system. Let me give you an example, I have rebooted a system in the middle of February of this year which was up since 1 jan 2000. I do not know any windows server capable of running this long. And in a production database environment, I do not think rebooting a server every other day is going to bode well with the usrs/customers.

2. When it comes to database transaction handling or number crunching, PA-RISC processors have an undeniable advantage over their CISC counterparts, like Intel or AMD. And HP and HPUX combination is known to be the most robust and best performing platform to be used as database server.

and yes it is cheaper to get a maintenance agreement for an intel class machine, but the real cost is not the one you see on the maintenance bill. It is the worktime and business lost by company due to server going down or not processing data fast enough.

When it comes to papers supporting this, nowadays, most companies are being supported by a company to do and publish results of CPU/OS/Software comparisons, I would not believe any of the nonsense I would get from a "so-called respectable source".

My suggestion would be, before grinding your teeth on this, ask HP to provide you such a xeon machine as loaner for 3-6 month period, and configure it the way you do in a production environment and let your users/customers have a go on this system for a week or two at a time. Let them decide if the performance/uptime is acceptable by them.

Running an IT shop as a business is the latest catch phrase in any publication that touches my hand nowadays, but the thing that needs to be considered, it is not the only business unit. If you can not sell your goods, it does not matter how cheap you can make them. This is the driving point to your bosses head in my opinion. But again, let the users decide if it is acceptable by them.

My 2 cents.

Tanks Mel,

The Xeon server will have Linux Enterprise Edition.
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Well, Linux is better news than having windows server of any sort but still, when it comes to crunching power, RISC and CISC architectures are not very comparable. Especially replacing 3 server with a single server with dual Xeon CPUs sounds like getting off of a Porsche and driving a VW performance wise. They are both made by the same manufacturer but with different consumer audiences in mind.

If you don't mind, what is the current number of users on your database(s) at a non-peak utilization and peak utilization times during the day ? Also is this database, a back end to a high traffic volume web portal or something ? I am trying to figure out the transaction rate of the database if you are wondering.