Did you mean: 

Hard partition limit

SOLVED
Go to solution
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hard partition limit

Hi,

We have a RP8400 with 2 core cells. As per the documentation we can not create 4 hard partitions unless otherwise we have an I/O Expansion cabinet with core I/O is connected. What is this I/O expansion cabinet all about? Is it a separate RP8400 server?. How the connectivity is done between RP8400 and expansion cabinet? Do any of you have any diagrams/images explaining the connection?

Thanks,
Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
4 REPLIES
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor

Re: Hard partition limit

Check here;

http://docs.hp.com/cgi-bin/fsearch/framedisplay?top=/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-4534/5187-4534_top.html&con=/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-4534/00/00/1-con.html&toc=/hpux/onlinedocs/5187-4534/00/00/1-toc.html&searchterms=partitions%7cguide%7csystem&queryid=20040217-035114

If this link is no good go to docs.hp.com and search for "System Partitions guide" and select the chapter on;
"Chart of Supported HP rp8400, rp8420, and rx8620 nPartition Configurations"

In there is a diagram which explains it. Basically you need a core i/o add on as for each npar you need a core i/o board, and an 8400 comes with 2 (meaning only 2 npars), if you want 4 npars (hard partitions) you need 2 more core i/o boards, which the expansion module gives.
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi Stefan,

I have already gone through that document. It only discusses about possible nPar configuration with different cells. But doesn't contain any images on the expansion unit itself. What I am looking for is the part details/diagrams for the expansion unit. Something like a serviceguide ...

Thanks,
Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Stefan Farrelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

I know what you need, ive a copy of the manual but its not on the web. email me below and I can email it back to you.

Cheers,

Stefan
stefan_farrelly@ipcmedia.com
Im from Palmerston North, New Zealand, but somehow ended up in London...
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Thank you Stefan. I have sent you a mail :-)

-Karthik S S