Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVM/N4000/FC60/Brocade 2400

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

LVM/N4000/FC60/Brocade 2400

I have an N4000 with a locally attached FC60. I want to put a Brocade switch in between the two. The N-class has two FC adapters, one is an A3740A and the other is the newer A5158A.

This leads me to two questions. First, will the two different FC adapters cause any issues? And, second, when the FC60 is connected through the switch, all the hardware paths to the LUNs will be different - do I do a vgimport with the new device files to recover my VGs?

Thanks in advance,
Pete

Pete
14 REPLIES
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Re: LVM/N4000/FC60/Brocade 2400

Pete,

Not too sure about the adapters, but if they both are claimed to be supported, then you shouldn't have an issue, though you could get 5158's for less than 1500.

Yes, on the VG's, an import will do.

BUT, make sure you do a make_tape_recovery before starting anything. Bring your system up-to-date in patches. backup your data volumes TWICE.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I'm not sure on the adapters, either. I think I've heard something about the older one not being capable of "fabric mode" - but I'm not too sure just what that even means.

As far as backups and patches - you know it. I spent last weekend working on patches and we run full backups every night. I just need to do the make_tape_recovery (twice) and then proceed to destroy.

Thanks, Harry.

Pete

Pete
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Pete,

I think you are right on that old pci card, I don't think it supports fabric login.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Sandip Ghosh
Honored Contributor

You can speak to HP for the buyback of the old type card and replace it with a new one.

Sandip
Good Luck!!!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Yes, that's a possiblity.

Thanks, Sandip.

Pete

P.S. Just so you know, I'm holding off on points because I don't want the appearance of a rabbit to scare off any further opinions. Points will be forthcoming - have faith.

Pete
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Pete,

The 3704 CANNOT handle switched fibre, which essentially means it chokes & dies when a switch (Brocade) is placed *between* it & the target. The 5158 CAN handle switched fibre.
My recommendation to you would be to replace the 3704 w/another 5158.

And on Q#2 - Yes a vgimport will do the trick..BUT...fbackup (twice is better) before you change the HW just to be safe.

HTH,
Jeff
PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

That's the info I was looking for.

Thanks, Jeff.

Here come the points, folks.

Pete
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Pete,

fibre channel fabric login support:

Both HSC Tachlite adapters, A6684A & A6685A, and PCI Tachlite adapters, A5158A and A6795A, support the Fabric Login environment which is an interconnection of Fibre Channel host ports, device ports and switch ports.

http://techsolutions.hp.com/fc/fchome.htm

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Jeff Schussele
Honored Contributor

Hi Pete,

One last thing - you very well may need patch or even PDC updates to support fabric on your system.
See the following PCI pgs:

http://techsolutions.hp.com/fc/fabric.htm

http://techsolutions.hp.com/fc/fabric.htm

And HSC pg:

http://techsolutions.hp.com/fc/hscfabric.htm

HTH,
Jeff

PERSEVERANCE -- Remember, whatever does not kill you only makes you stronger!
Duncan Edmonstone
Honored Contributor

One other choice Pete (although I'd still go with the new card if I were you). You could run the switch in 'Quickloop' mode, which allows it to run certain ports on the switch in an emulation of FCAL. I beleive this is extra s/w on the switch though (and therefore extra $$$).

You might try asking this question in the storage forum... there are a few folk there who know an awful lot about fcal/fc-sw/quickloop etc.

HTH

DUncan

HTH

Duncan
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Actually Pete is better off replacing the A3740A because it is NOT supported under 11i, it's supported only under 11.00 and 10.20. And with an N-class, I'm sure that he will want to upgrade the OS some day to 11i or greater.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Thanks, all. The new card is on its way and yes, someday I'll get around to putting 11i on this box but I need to get through this and a few hundred other things first.

Pete

Pete
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Come on Pete, there are almost 24 hours in a day :-)

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

You're right about that, Harry, but I do like to reserve a few hours for beer guzzling and/or the occasional round of golf.

;^)

Pete

Pete