Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCSG + MSCS Storage

Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

MCSG + MSCS Storage

Hi

We are planning to purchase two proliant servers and two HP rx2600
Itanium based servers. On prolaint we are planning to configure Microsoft Cluster and Service Guard on rx2600 Itanium Servers. For shared storage we want use a Fiber Channel Disk array. Which disk array do you suggest for this kind of configuration. We need a Certified Disk array for MS Cluster which also should be supported with the rx2600 systems.

Kindly suggest.
Thanks
Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
9 REPLIES
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: MCSG + MSCS Storage

Karthik, I know that VA7xx0 models are certified, and believe that also XP disk arrays. VA can work with hosts having different operating systems installed at the same time. I heard that connection of windows hosts are supported to VA which has hpux clustered hosts connected. I think more info about interoperability/storage solution you can get calling HP.
Of course, you decision also depends on how much you can spend and how much disk space do you need
Eugeny

Well the general statement is that only HP disks/arrays are supported in ServiceGuard clusters, the exception being EMC arrays.
As far as MSCluster is concerned, I do not know what would be supporetd, but you could look at the VA7xxx range, as I believe htis may work.
A word of warning here, htat in general I would beware of sharing an array across various clusters, especially if they are not the same "technology". You could have one cluster cause issues with he ohter clustering software, although I have no experience of this.
I recommend you consult with your HP Sales Team.
My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!

Hi Karthik,

how would you connect the four systems to the FiberChannel array (if you were to use a Va-7x00)? Because a supported (by HP) MC/SG configuration must consist of HP storage. And a VA-7x00 has only 2 FC I/O channels, so you need to use at least one FC-switch (which is a single-point-of-failure, so you need 2). If you have real money to spend, you could opt for an XP which can provide enough FC I/O channels to connect the four systems. What type of cluster do you want to design? Active-passive? Active-active? How big are the databases going to be? Because this will be a shared storage environment, a huge amount of I/O on one platform can cause disturbance on the other. I/O performance degradation being the most notable. Maybe in the end two separate storage boxes is the way to go. Mind you: storage solutions from other vendors might work, but then YMMV.

HTH, cu l8r, Edgar.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi Edgar,

Infact we need these systems only for testing and are not going to be in a production environment. So we can afford to have a failed switch and the downtime till it gets replaced. More importantly we are looking for a configuration that is certified for MSCS. So we have decided to go ahead with 2*GL380 + Smartarray for the Windows platform and 2*rx2600 + DS2405 (with two fibre ports) for hp-ux Cluster.

Thanks for your response.

Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Hello all,
please do not forget there's new Virtual Array VA7410 available and it has TWO configurable ports on each controller. So in sum it will be 4 ports. The great thing is that you can set each port up to wotk in desired host behavior. So, for example, you connect hpux server to one port of C1, and w2k server to another port of this C1. Same with C2 (so there's redundancy and no need in switch zoning). Using switch you can construct fantastic complex configurations
Eugeny
Dave La Mar
Honored Contributor

Karthik -
We have been on an XP512 (just over 5 tb.) for nearly two years.
We have found it reliable, well supported, functionally easy for SA needs.

Best of Luck. And please advise when you make a decision on "What" and "Why".

(Thought I responded to this yesterday.)

DL
"I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information."
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Karthik,

We are having all kinds of XPs here and we never experienced a single issue.

Depending on the capacity you need, you may want to purchase an XP***, and connect the systems through brocade switches.

XPs have been found pretty robust in my experience.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Vincent Fleming
Honored Contributor

Another option for you that is supported in both MSCS and MC/SG is the EVA.

It also has 4 host ports (like the VA7410) as well.

The EVA came from Compaq, but has received much development and testing on HP-UX since the merger, and was certified with MC/SG in December.

Of course, it works really well with Windows (coming from Compaq and all...)

Your later posting about using DS2405 and smartarray indicates to me that you need very little usable disk space. Any hardware array may be too much $$ for your needs.

Good luck,

Vince
No matter where you go, there you are.
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi all,

Thank you for all the response. Finally we settled for VA7410 array.

Thanks
Karthik