cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MOVE A CED IN ANOTHER BRANCH

Emanuele De Angelis
Frequent Advisor

MOVE A CED IN ANOTHER BRANCH

Hello, I would want to know as the total is estimated electrical absorption of a CED?

THANKS
3 REPLIES
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: MOVE A CED IN ANOTHER BRANCH

First,

what's a CED?

Pete

Pete
Emanuele De Angelis
Frequent Advisor

You excuse to me.
CED, is a Server Room.
Steve Lewis
Honored Contributor

By absorption, do you mean how much power is consumed? Electricity is a big area, one which many admins and managers fail to plan properly for and are often ignorant about. I recommend you get a consultant in for this, because it could be dangerous if you get it wrong.

What an electrical consultant will need from you, is the power consumption of every piece of electrical equipment in the server room.

Look for the sustained power consumption and also the peak (normally found at startup). The peak isn't always given explicitly, for instance the DS2405 spec sheet just says 200Watts, but doesn't say if this is sustained or peak. The peak load can be much higher than the sustained. Most supplies will be able to supply a peak load for a few seconds before tripping out, but that is all.

It gets more complicated than that, with Watts versus VA, UPS issues, balancing loads on phases and other nasty things I shan't go into.

I have been in one installation which tripped out, when the power was restored after a cut, since all the disk drives spinning up at once put a very heavy load on the supply.
People had just kept plugging more and more equipment in, over the years.