cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New server ?

Haroon Deen
Occasional Visitor

New server ?

I am working at a 110 user environment. currently we are located at two seperate sites and looking forward to working at one site on 3 seperate floors. (space is at a premium in Sydney).
The one location has an e-60 server and the other an old dell p2/300.
Eventually we will run MS backoffice (all services).
My dilemma is: to buy a new server or can the e-60 cope in a 100 user environment ?
What I would like to do is run exchange, proxy server, File and print on the dell p2/300 and beef up the e-60 with a raid array, additional cpu (p3/500) and ram (to 500 MB up) and run it as an app server with SQL 7. This makes sense to me but I keep getting second guessed by various consultants. I am not sure how SQL7 runs on an e-60 but I feel there is plenty of grunt left in it.
so my scenario... or new /bigger/better server than the e-60?
any advice is aprreciated.
3 REPLIES
Tim Malnati
Honored Contributor

Re: New server ?

Personally, I would not put the money into the E60. My main reason for saying that is that the support costs at this point are bit excessive for what you have. They will still be supported for at least another year, but it is questionable how long HP will continue after that. I would suggest that you talk to your sales channel and have them make an upgrade proposal to a new machine. Depending on your support level, you could even end up saving money when you add in the support charges.

I don't have any experience with your environment, so a recomendation of which class server would be best for you would be a guess on my part, but your sales channel should be able to provide you with the info for this as well.

I don't know what your storage requirements are, but if they are relatively small, it is probably cheaper to add on a Jamaica enclosure and provide full mirroring. The 12H autoraid is very expensive and the performance is not as good (look through the forums for past threads on autoraid performance). If your storage requirements are much beyond this, I would probably look into a model 20 or model 30/FC array.
Michael Francisco
Trusted Contributor

When you say E-60, I'm guessing that you're talking about the HP NetServer E60 (Intel based). The forum you are currently in is for HP 3000 and 9000 servers, so the previous response was for a different flavor E60.

Anyway, the E series of NetServers is designed more for a departmental/small office server that would "require no IT support." (HP's words, not mine). We have several of these servers running as file, printer, and mail servers, but more critical apps are running on the L series of HP NetServers. (The enterprise stuff is running on HP 9000's)

If your intent is to use this server for all of your services, the E60 doesn't leave you much room for growth. I would go with the LC2000 - better processors, more expandable disk and memory wise, and includes a hot swap disk array with a built-in RAID controller.

Good luck,
Michael
Uhhh...no
Haroon Deen
Occasional Visitor

Thanks everyone for your replies. I got pricing and specs for a L series and thats the path I am going to follow