cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PA-RISC Roadmap / end of life

Alan Turner
Regular Advisor

PA-RISC Roadmap / end of life

A few months ago, I saw a thread which talked about HP's plans for PA-RISC, and linked to a document which (I think) indicated that PA8800 would be the last PA-RISC development and that PA-RISC support was due to end in 2011.

Does anyone have a reference to that thread (or equivalent information)?

TIA

Alan
6 REPLIES
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Re: PA-RISC Roadmap / end of life

I can not find the thread anymore, still looking. In the mean time take a look at this article.

http://www.serverwatch.com/hreviews/article.php/3107451

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Alan Turner
Regular Advisor

Robert

Thanks for this.

The article pointed to a May 2002 consolidation paper which said HP would continue with the plans for 8800 and 8900 - but this is over 18 months old, so things may have changed.
Trevor Roddam_1
Valued Contributor

Hello there.

I don't have a publicly available link, but in the reseller world, there are links to PA8800 and PA8900 products.

There are some interesting things to be released soon.
There are some user presentable PDF's showing PA8800 but none for PA8900.

Stay tuned, PA8800 with HP-UX11i is a huge perf gain with support still planned out to 2011.
Baldric, I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasle.
Alan Turner
Regular Advisor

Trevor

Thanks for this.

I'm wondering if the original thread contained an internal or reseller-only document. I wish I'd printed it out!

Anyway, not quite a bunny, in the hope that some kind soul has a copy and posts it (provided, of course, that it is not subject to a NDA).

Regards

Alan
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Alan,

Not the document I searched for, but it does give a lot of information about the move to itanium.

http://www.hp.com/products1/evolution/download/7944_WPPARISCtoItanium063003.pdf

Robert-Jan
Alan Turner
Regular Advisor

Robert-Jan

Thank you for the white paper - not one I'd seen before.

My main interest is in crystal ball gazing for the end of PA-RISC development, because HP-UX 11i for HP 9000 is a certified product, whereas HP-UX 11i for Itanium is not.

Therefore migration to Itanium is not an option currently.