Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Process per CPU

Frequent Advisor

Process per CPU

I'm doing a system planning for the server and would like get the actual usage of every applcation on every CPU. How can I do it?
Performance Issue on HP-UX 10.20
8 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Process per CPU

Hi Dude

it would help greatly if you told us what hardware you have and which o/s.

cheers
John.
Frequent Advisor

HP-UX 10.20 and 11.00 - model N, D T K L class
Honored Contributor

With a bit of luck the system will have the measureware performance agent running on it (also known as the openview performance agent). This collects exactly these statistics by default for processes on the system that are deemed to be 'interesting'.

Have a read of the documentation to get a better overview:

http://docs.hp.com/hpux/netsys/index.html#HP%20OpenView%20Performance%20Agent%20for%20Unix

There you'll find the users guide and metric dictionaries. If you don't have access to a system with the 'perfview' product installed you'll have to use the extract command to export the data.

Good luck.

Regards,
Steve
Frequent Advisor

I would like to have a script kind of thing if possible which could do like below :

CPU PID Process Name
0 123 a
1 124 b
2 125 c
Honored Contributor

Hi

if you dont have perfview or measureware they are both available on 60 day trial.

John.
Honored Contributor

Hi

I dont have a multiprocessor system to hand but command "top" should give you this I think.

John.
Honored Contributor

It's important to note that processes will not stay running on the same processor (nor is that a desirable feature). As mentioned, top will show you the percentage of usage by processor as will Glance and it's graphical cousin, gpm. Moving a program's execution from CPU to CPU involves no more overhead than restoring a process after a context switch. Memory is of course shared by every processor so there is no overhead.

Be sure you are up to date on patches as there is a patch for HP-UX that fixed a over-use policy in a multi-processor system.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Honored Contributor

cron a process to run top every 10 minutes for 1 minute throughout your normal business day. do this for one week, but not the first or last week of the month. then use a statistical smoothing method like weighted averages to arrive at a single list of processes and their relative cpu consumption. this is a "normal" week's average. then repeat for each of the first and last week of the month, and crunch those numbers. then compare the three results; if the first or last week average is withing one standard deviation of the "normal" week average, that means your applications don't have an end-of-month spike and you can just use the one figure.

HTH
mark
the future will be a lot like now, only later
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event