Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Purchase servers and switches to high level

gtsolid
Occasional Contributor

Purchase servers and switches to high level

Hello everyone

I am in a small company with about 15 clients connected to a server with OS 2003 server virtualized.

we use especially solidworks to work and, in the face of slowdowns, we must perform some change hardware. I think these changes:

- Switch to high-level network as the Cisco Catalyst that also support link aggregation

- Server 2008 R2 last generations or even better 2012 R2 to support network adapters teaming

- Ssd drives on the clients.

The third point I am implementing. the problems are the first two.
I could use a server suitable for my size that does not cost therefore a blunder. I was thinking of a HP ProLiant Gen8 ML310e v2. What do you think? Switch on the other hand I do not know anything

I need backup, file management and exchange capabilities

3 REPLIES
BK_HPE
LSW

Re: Purchase servers and switches to high level

Hey @gtsolid

To accurately recommend an HP server and HP Switch, we would need to know a little more information:

-What server hardware and switches are you currently working with?

-How are your 15 clients connected to the server?

-Just to make sure we are heading in the right direction, can you clarify what you mean by 'slowdowns'?

-How much storage capacity do you need?

With the information you have provided, I agree about the HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8 v2 Server series that has essential availability and expansion to accommodate your changing business needs, is compatible with the HP PS1810 Switch Series, extending the benefits of HP Converged Infrastructure (CI) for seamless network connectivity.  The HP PS1810 Switch series has a lifetime Warranty as the HP PS1810 Switch series Date Sheet say under key features.  The HP ProLiant ML310e Gen 8 v2 server series is compatible with the Microsoft Windows server 2012 operating system.

You may also benefit from looking at the HP Switch Selector tool, which by questions it asks, will help find the accurate Switch for your needs.  

Please doe not hesitate to contact me if you need any further assistance.

I am an HP employee in the ISS, Storage and Networking group, and I love helping our customers. If my post helps you, please mark it as an Accepted Solution. If you need further insight into HP Solutions, please send me a private message or contact an HP Solutions Expert.
gtsolid
Occasional Contributor

-What server hardware and switches are you currently working with?

my actual configuration:

https://fyas0a.bn1302.livefilestore.com/y2pyzcXfVfbtF8ssxzNWhR6QGwYT6Smmu41WkdEyZWGvoM8-V1lk70lxjiWz6cBMZqmI6kRSSi8I9ihp8Oc7GPsjAPqDrdSE718ABg9sWJH6D0/WP_000009.jpg

as you see, the server is not branded. 

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540 @ 3.07GHz

RAM socket #0, size 4096 MBytes (single bank)

- Windows Version Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 3790)

- Drive 0: VMware Virtual disk, Capacity 200.0 GB
   Drive 1:VMware Virtual disk,Capacity 16.0 GB
   Drive 2: VMware Virtual disk,Capacity 500.0 GB

https://fyas0a.bn1302.livefilestore.com/y2pv6FnicXmmQSLkWdrZCdpujK7hwJFmS8jTDAQywDvhXTDUV-lqR15Oj2xpJ2D7Ea0b3ja6OUwqQrJr3KcslkAXBfOCfssrkIj0WqLDIZQ4as/WP_000005.jpg

this is the rack.

the main switch is an HP ProCurve 1410-16G Switch J9560A, the second is an AtlantisLand A02-F25-4G.

there are also, down, some black ethernet entrances

-----------------------------------------------------

-How are your 15 clients connected to the server? using ethernet cables cat.5e

-Just to make sure we are heading in the right direction, can you clarify what you mean by 'slowdowns'?

the difference between opening (and saving) file in local or using server is about the double of time

-How much storage capacity do you need? 

files are grewing, i would like 2-4 TB.  

BK_HPE
LSW

Hello @gtsolid

Based off your current setup I think you are on the right track upgrading to the ML310e Gen8 v2 model.  You should opt for a pre-configured Performance model with an Intel Xeon E3-1240v3 (3.4GHz/4-core/8MB/80W) Processor and 8GB (1 x 8GB) PC3-12800E DDR3 UDIMM RAM.  This should get you the results you are looking for.  If that does not resolve the issue, upgrading to a managed switch like the HP 5120-16G SI​ will give you the ability to configure the switch and prioritize LAN traffic to make sure that the most important information gets through quickly. 

I am an HP employee in the ISS, Storage and Networking group, and I love helping our customers. If my post helps you, please mark it as an Accepted Solution. If you need further insight into HP Solutions, please send me a private message or contact an HP Solutions Expert.