Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SAN boot, and DR

SOLVED
Go to Solution
Honored Contributor

SAN boot, and DR

Hello everyone,

My company is working on having a DR with a low recovery time and started looking into mirrored boot disks and SAN boot.

I do realize that Ignite is a better (sure-) way to go at recovering (cloning) systems, but I have to work with what I'm given.

After reading several posts on here, it looks like I may have some LVM issues at startup, but what's even more is I don't even know ahead of time what hardware I'll be issued, given that they issue the hardware as close as what's in the contract if they don't have it on hand.

Now, because my mind is m ushy a bit, wouldn't that give me issues with the kernel if my hardware is too different? Is there a way to make sure this is as smooth as possible, even though I got different hardware?

Thank you for all your input.

Marco
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
7 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: SAN boot, and DR

Hi,

When you talk about hardware, do you mean servers ?

It is not generally possible to boot a server from a kernel, created for a different model. In some cases it will work (if the models are very similar as the A400-rp2430). But, I am afraid, no general solution.
Honored Contributor

For different hardware, I'd say the only safe way is to go through a base os install.

But D/R systems should really be of identical hardware!

Alternatively You could reserve some luns with a base os for the D/R systems (of course this would require *testing* them at least every month...) and when disaster strikes, enable them through a zone set, boot from them and then import the (failed) production systems' data/app volume groups.
yesterday I stood at the edge. Today I'm one step ahead.
Honored Contributor

Leif,

Yeah, I meant servers.. say for example I have a L3000-6x and instead they give me a N4000-55, wouldn't that give me trouble with my kernel?
Honored Contributor

Marco,

If you can't guarantee the hardware isn't the same, I would be inclined not to look at SAN boot - as you already know, at the very least there are some LVM challenges - you then have to *hope* thet you have the correct patches in the kernel to support the new hardware, and then you will need to completely re-create the ioconfig files, resulting in potentially changed instances for not just disk, but tape, lan, maybe even console...

I am doing SAN boot for DR for one of my customers, but he has *identical* servers at each location.

HTH

Duncan

HTH

Duncan
Outstanding Contributor

Marco,

I don't see how Mirroring and SAN booting can be considered DR. In a true DR situation (flood, fire, earthquake), the mirrored disks and SAN disks will be lost, too. You need to have off-site backups to recover your data. If the hardware is drastically different, not even an Ignite backup will be able to restore your root VG, you may well have to start with a fresh install. The you have to build your other storage depending on your needs and what hardware is available to you. Unless you can guarantee nearly identical hardware at your DR site, it's going to be much more like building a system from scratch.

Pete

Pete
Honored Contributor

Sorry Pete,

I should have mentionned that the mirroring is done off site.. in a different city.. using SRDFA
Outstanding Contributor

Oh . . . . . Sorry . . .

;^(

Pete

Pete
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event