Planning
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Web Console Alternatives

Secure Web Console Alternatives

I would like to find out about alternatives to SWC for providing secure, remote console access. I am primarily interested in monitoring reboots and dealing with the system when it (and not the data center) in having network problems.

Thanks,
Coleman Blake
Peace Corps
7 REPLIES
COMAIR IT Department
Occasional Contributor

Re: Secure Web Console Alternatives

Connect the console to a serial PC port, then you can use netmeeting, vnc, pcAnywhere or some other remote access utility to get to the system console. If you use something dial-capable, keep aware of security issues.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Well, N-Class boxes and newer have a MP Console - LAN port - we use that and it works very well...

Next option will cost you - look into purchasing a Console server.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.

Geoff,

Is the Console server you refer to an HP product? If so, is that what HP calls it?

Coleman.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

No, the one we are implementing is a Lantronix SCS3200:

http://www.lantronix.com/products/cs/index.html

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
Dave Hutton
Honored Contributor

Theres quite a few different companies that make serial terminal servers. The one I'm most familier with is by Perle. It's basically a rackmountable piece of hardware that has a network port and depending on the model can have up to 16 ports on the back of it.

You basically set up the hardware with an ip address that you can telnet to and a specific port depending on which server your trying to get to. 16 ports you can connect 16 servers to it.

The nice thing about these are that you can remotely see the bootup process or do single user maintance on your server. You can write a wrapper script that allow you to access all your unix servers through 1 common way.

Its an open network connection between the terminal server and your pc (or some other server) so my guess its not the most secure way of doing it. But it works really slick.

Dave

Thanks to all who responded. I think we going to use a PC (maybe running LINUX) that is attached via a small hub to the LAN ports of the GSP. We will then connect to the PC via SSH, a secure web session, or dial-in.
Thomas Dunlap
Occasional Visitor

Have been using VNC as the cheapest yet in my view best remote control software. The application is only run on servers that are behind firewalls that have specific forwarding rules to keep out the prying eyes.

There are other security concerns that should be considered when using these types of applications. Check this URL

http://studentorganizations.smsu.edu/ACM/Security/VNCSecurity.htm

Good luck