Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System Configuration

Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

System Configuration

Hi

I need to suggest the Hardware Configuration for one of our Clients requirement. The requirement is roughly as follows,

rp8400 system split system ??? 2 partitions
HA of CPU fully loaded - 875 Mhz CPUs
1GB of RAM for each cell
HA with root disk ??? Mission Critical OS
HA on network connectivity
HA on Data storage.

They need atleast 1000GB of usable storage space with HA. Which Disk array is recommended with the above rp8400 System? XP48 / XP512 which is better? ( Keeping in mind that our Clinet need extreme HA)

Thanks
Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
6 REPLIES
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Re: System Configuration

The XP 512 is better, but it is not the only disk array out in the market. You may want to invest some time looking at other offerings from EMC and Hitachi.

One other thing, depending on the size of the application and database, suggest you invest in some more RAM.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Thanks Michael.
Have you worked on XP512?. Assuming that I am going for RAID5 configuration and required 1000GB of usable Disk space, how much disks would I need?. (With 72GB disks)

Does XP512 itself takes some space for HA?. If yes what is the amount of space it requires? Kindly let me know.
Thanks
Karthik
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn

Hi,

There is a new XP --> XP128. I think this is your best option (over XP platform).

There are a lot of disk arrays out in the market but I guess you are not interested in that. Right?

Best regards,
Manel
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

The XP product line (like Hitahi and EMC and even the new HP VA-series) have several HA options. RAID-5 is the least costly for HA but also the lowest performance since every write requires updating all the disks at the same time. It is more common to use disk mirroring insiode the array. For mirroring, you'll need 2000Gb for 1000Gb of storage.

However, you don't have an HA system. You have a simple system where a disk failure is handled automatically by the array. But a failure in the rp8400 CPU hardware can take everything down. I would look at MC/Service Guard as a better solution. Not only does it offer complete redundancy, but you can perform upgrades and patches offline without disturbing the production system. Then migrate by simply switching the package of applications to the second server.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Hi Bill,

Thanks for that. Infact we will be going for MC Service Guard. But I believe rp8400 is a cell based system and it can offer CPU Board redundancy. A fully loaded rp8400 with 4 cells and 16 CPUs can act as 4 different systems. Do you have any more information on these series of systems?

Thanks
Karthik
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

The documentation your after, should be found here:

http://www.docs.hp.com/hpux/hw/index.html#rp8400%20Server
Anyone for a Mutiny ?