Planning
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal servers for 11.23 on rp4440 - suggestions please!

SOLVED
Go to solution
KMRT
Occasional Advisor

Terminal servers for 11.23 on rp4440 - suggestions please!

I have a potential sale to migrate a Data General system over to rp4440 (as they want to integrate into IBM SAN then we can only go to PA-RISC based HP/UX server). Customer presently has a number of modems connected to a DG 'Annex'terminal server (aka BayNetworks and other brands/names, and uses 'rtelnet' to tie-down terminal servers ports to fixed device names on DG/UX.

I've previously got experience using ddfa/ocd to tie-down ports for HP DTC's ... but as these are no longer available (shame!), I need to look elsewhere - though it looks like I may still be able to use ddfa/ocd.

Has anyone got experience of other makes/brands of terminal servers and maybe also of needing to tie-down ports on these devices?

Thanks!
Paul
"The disavowed one
3 REPLIES
Armin Kunaschik
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Terminal servers for 11.23 on rp4440 - suggestions please!

rp4440 have a MP (management processor) which is reachable over the network via telnet.
So there is no real need to use an external terminal server.
The only drawback is the telnet protocol.
With security in mind you can use the SSL web interface of the MP. From my point of view the web interface really sux because it's "just" an often crashing java applet.

To get SSH access to the console you can use any other "vanilla" terminal server. We use Cyclades Alterpath in our environment (but only for Solaris/AIX... boxes with serial console ports)

Hope this helps,
Armin
And now for something completely different...
KMRT
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Armin, though I think I maybe did not make myself very clear ... The main reason for having a terminal server is so that the rp4440 can connect to a bank of modems on a terminal server and dial OUT from the system to remote sites.

Regards,
Paul..

PS: General note: It does actually seem that the DTC management software IS available for versions of HP/UX beyond 11.0 ... I'm off to rebuild one of our servers to 11.23 and try it ... will update the posting later.
"The disavowed one
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Paul,

We replaced DTC with Digiboard solutions

http://www.digi.com/products/terminalservers/index.jsp