cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Told to replace HP-UX with W2K for Oracle Applications

Vince Arends
Frequent Advisor

Told to replace HP-UX with W2K for Oracle Applications

I'm not sure this is even in the correct forum, but here goes, anyway. I am currently running Oracle 8.0.5 with Oracle Financial Applications 11.0.3 and Oracle Web Application Server 3.0.2 on a K460 running HP-UX 11.0 (all 64-bit). Users connect to the Oracle Apps with JDK 1.1.7.18o. I have Enterprise Manager 1.6, Reports 2.5, SQL*Plus 8.0.5, on my PC, a couple users have Discoverer 3.1, other users have ADI in various versions. I have been told I need to migrate Oracle and the Applications to a (ugh!) Windows 2000 server by the end of 2002. We only have about 20 Oracle users. Current production Oracle databases total about 2.5 Gig. Looks to me like I'll have to go to Oracle 8.1.7, but should I go to Oracle 11i, or stay with 11.0.3 for the Apps? Anybody out there done anything like this? Looking for help, comments, suggestions and the infamous Oracle "gotchas". Would like to run at least two Oracle instances (prod and test/development). Comments please, also, about having two boxes (one prod, one test). We are looking at getting LH3000 for the servers. Anybody done multiple Oracle instances on one W2K server?
3 REPLIES
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Re: Told to replace HP-UX with W2K for Oracle Applications

Hi there.
Take Applications 11.03. This is for smaller clients. Why don't you take a smaller HP machine ? HP-UX is more reliable than the MS-stuff. We use Oracle Applications on HP-UX for seven years now. No hard probs at all.
We had some simple databases running on Windows servers. Just plain forget it.
Do not place all the stuff on one server.
Even if you use a double cpu board, it might not perform as needed ( Webserver, Applications, database, concurrent manager processes etc ).
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"
Dave Wherry
Esteemed Contributor

Who came up with this migration mandate? It sounds like your company does not do random drug testing.
Gordon Brown_5
Frequent Advisor

Just to add another comment, we have just migrated our US system back to HP-UX after two years of Winhassle.
Older than the 840