Planning
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Upgrade HP-UX 10.20 to 11.0 via make_recovery ???

Valued Contributor

Upgrade HP-UX 10.20 to 11.0 via make_recovery ???

Isn't there a simple way to upgrade from HP-UX 10.20 to 11.0 via make_recovery?
I haven't done it before, so I am not sure how to do this correctly.
Because we want to clone a server which is running 10.20 from a server with HP-UX 11.0 .
So does anyone have a README or somthing like this ???
A step-by-step guide would be the best for me. But anyway. If someone have an good idea, pls let me know.
Thanks a lot .
2 REPLIES
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade HP-UX 10.20 to 11.0 via make_recovery ???

Hi Elif,

When you do make_recovery, you are not upgrading, you are reinstalling the OS using a make_recovery archive from another 11.0 system. There is no step by step guide to do this, But this might help,

http://www.software.hp.com/products/IUX/docs/sysadm.html

Hope this helps.

Regds
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade HP-UX 10.20 to 11.0 via make_recovery ???

Well, this would be quite easy to do IF both machines are of the same class (both K's or both L's or both N's).

If that is the case then you would just make a make_tape_recovery tape on the current 11.0 machine, then boot your 10.20 machine from that tape.

Make sure that the installation comes up in interactive mode because you will want change the drive you install on, the IP address, hostname and VG00 LV sizes if you want.

Essentially, that is all there is to it.

Of course you will want to back up your 10.20 machine first with a make_tape_recovery tape, or 2, and whatever other backup method you use for your data. You will also, probably, want to have copies of you /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/hosts, and any other files that you made system specific changes to.

Hope this helps!
//Add this to "OnDomLoad" event