cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade HP-UX 10.20 to 11.00 on J2240

Mark Pezzi_1
Occasional Contributor

Upgrade HP-UX 10.20 to 11.00 on J2240

I have an Hp J2240 box that I'm preparing to upgrade/ clean install HP-UX 11.00. I am new to Unix systems with only 4 months experience, I have installed several C3000 workstations but nothing more... this system is equipped with an external storage device (no problem) and tape device (no problem).

There is a warning sticker on the front of the box stating that this requires a special version of HP-UX. What is this? Has any one installed version 11 on a J2240? Does it work well?

Thanks for any comments,
Mark
I'm new so please be patient .
4 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: Upgrade HP-UX 10.20 to 11.00 on J2240

I can't think of a reason that the j2240 would need a special version of HP-UX unless the application that it is running requires something special.

It appears that the j2240 can support both 32- and 64-bit versions of HP-UX at either 11.0 or 11i (aka 11.11).

See this links for details on OS support for various models of workstations:
http://www.hp.com/workstations/products/unix/operating/support_matrix/update.html
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Mark:

My first reaction is "whose sticker"? We used to put radioactive stickers on our coffee cups to keep them from being "requisitioned".

I agree with Patrick. It is possible that someone wanted to make sure that certain patches were in place (?) or that an application was certified to work on a particular release and/or that particular kernel parameters were tuned following a cold-install.

...JRF...
Vito Sarducci
Regular Advisor

Mark,
I have run into this problem before with J2240's. The warning on the label indicates that a version of O/S needs to be loaded for the firmware on the mb.

Checking your firmware version;

verify the current version of your firmware, using the following steps:

Step 1. Re-boot your system and do the following:

A. Interrupt the boot process and from the BOOT ADMIN
prompt, type and press [return].

B. Identify your firmware revision. The last 2 digits in the patch name indicate the revision. In this case, 2.1 is the revision. If the revision on your system is equal to or higher than 2.1, do not proceed with the update.

You will need to update the firmware on the J2240 before proceeding to upgrade the O/S.
Check with your Support Agreement on updates to your O/S to determine what version you can upgrade to and what level of firmware you can also update as well.

HTH,

Vito
Lifes too short to stress out, Enjoy every day you have on earth!
Sachin Patel
Honored Contributor

Hi Mark,
As Vito says if you need firmware virsion upgrade you have to call HP personal. They will come with CD or tape and update the firmware version.

Sachin
Is photography a hobby or another way to spend $