Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Color to make the new computer room

SOLVED
Go to solution
Marty Metras
Super Advisor

What Color to make the new computer room

They are going to start building a new computer room next week. We have growing pains for 3 years.
So what color should be?
What color is yours? and Why?
Marty
The only thing that always remain the same are the changes.
22 REPLIES
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: What Color to make the new computer room

I think ours is kind of greyish colored with the usual raised floor tiles.

Why? Who the heck knows.......

I've always wondered if you could do a feng-shui (spelling????) computer room? I wonder if the machines would run any better? ;)
Joseph C. Denman
Honored Contributor

I like a bright color. Mainly for lighting. Maybe off-white???? I know, that is plain......

...jcd...
If I had only read the instructions first??
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

In all seriousness it should be a light neutral colour like off white. Emergency switches, power distribution cabinets all have a distinct colour (at least here in OZ)

I could have said purple with pink poker-dots ...
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Hi,
We have "Pitch" color. Color is bright and light reflection is good.
Regards,
You need to know a lot to actually know how little you know
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

I know this isn't color --- If the decision hasn't been made already, go with at least a 12-inch raised floor. I know that seems like a lot, but the time you get power plugs & cables, network cables, etc. under there you will be glad you have the space. Our raised floor is only 6 or 8 inches and that is almost too short.

I hope you are also going for extra capacity on your air conditioning, UPS and power distribution units. It's easier to add more now than later.
Brian Crabtree
Honored Contributor

Maroon walls, and baby blue trim! Make all the switch and outlet covers yellow! Make sure any funiture in the room is velvet, and get a disco ball.

Nothing says "professional atmosphere" like a disco ball.

=)
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

I like Brian's idea. You may as well have some fun and be comfortable in there, seeing us Admin's spend so much time in there anyway. How about adding a wide-screen TV, DVD, stereo and of course the bar fridge ;^)
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Pitch is Faint yellowish
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

I would ask the IT staff about their preferences. Answers other than "I don't care" should result in immediate dismissal.

Patrick's idea about the raised floor is a good point but rather than saying 12 inches the value should be dictated by the requirements of air flow. 12 inches is usually a minimum because typical air flow calculations consider unobstructed volumes.
I actually prefer two separate units, each capable of handling the entire thermal load, one a downflow unit and the other an upflow.
If your subfloor is concrete, insist that it be painted with an epoxy paint to seal it. That will greatly reduce the dehumidification loads.

Finally, strongly consider a diesel generator. For about the price of a large data-center class UPS, you can afford multiple (one per cabinet UPS's) and a diesel generator -- and that allows much greater peace of mind. Natural Gas powered generators are typically half-again as expensive as their diesel counterparts.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Manish Srivastava
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

We have off-white and reading other posts it looks like it is a sort of a standard. You could be traditional but if you really want to experiment then make one wall the graffiti wall. people may have good thing to write :-).

manish
Sanjay Kumar Suri
Honored Contributor

Our color is light grey as it goes with the color of false floor, flase celing and the color of HP servers/XP boxes.

Ensure that the color last long i.e should not peel off adding to unwanted dust.

If needed any spot should be cleanable with a dry cloth or stuff like that.

sks

A rigid mind is very sure, but often wrong. A flexible mind is generally unsure, but often right.
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor

I'm not going to talk about ours, but what you should choose...

Have the floor in a navy-blue or medium-dark-grey color. Mark the places where cabinets can be placed by lines in black/yellow dashed tape or paint. Looks fun and professional. The walls and ceiling should fit with the floor colour.

Have HP or someone else paint your computerfronts and the 19" racks in a colour that combines well with the rest of the colour scheme. This way it won't be noticed not all racks come from the same provider.

As for the bar/TV/DVD/etc.: a normal operator or sysadmin only enters a computer room to place a new computer or replace tapes. All normal work is done in a normal office, I hope. So no need for those. A radio or other sound system on the intercom in the computer room is something you might enjoy, though.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Steve Lewis
Honored Contributor

The best piece of advice I can give is that you must make sure that there is plenty of light, so choose a bright colour for walls, ceiling and floor and ensure that there is a light above every walkway.

These days with fibrechannel we don't have to crawl in the back of the server with a torch to check the HASS dip switches, but it still helps to be able to easily read the writing on your cable labels and slot numbers, so that you don't plug things back in the wrong hole during maintenance.

When the ambient light is insufficient it may even get dangerous for people to work there.

rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Maroon with Velvet elvis's on the wall.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Marty:

We use an off white and it is defiantly a flat paint. I have always hated computer rooms with a glossy finish. There are usually plenty and bright lights and all that glossy paint just makes your eyes hurt with the shiny surfaces.

Also, now is the time to think about your Computer Room Fire Suppression System. You should know that if you intend to use a Gas version that the room will need to be "sealed". That said, you will have to think about all your external cable and piping runs out of the room (i.e., Telephone, Network, Water and drain, etc.).

Here is a pdf that is worth reading:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_tc030203tb_rev4_us/TPM_tc030203tb_rev4_us.pdf
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
V. Nyga
Honored Contributor

Hi,

be sure that the door has another color than the walls - just imagine you wouldn't find the way out ...

Volkmar
*** Say 'Thanks' with Kudos ***
rmueller58
Valued Contributor

Ok,

in all seriousness, I recommend a soft white, or very neutral tones.

If your computer is gonna do it right, rack mount everything, raised floor, halon fire suppression, AC, and air filtration..

Cat 6 cable, gigabyte nics, and switches.

Marty Metras
Super Advisor

Great responses to my question! Wow! We all kind of think alike don't we.
We are a small staff and everybody looks at it different. Myself I am Red/Green colorblind so I look at bright colors for lighting. Others are looking at it to match other color schemes. And then there are the Fashion people. Myself I want a cool room where I can see and not trip over stuff and all the Power I can get. Not like it is at home.

Any other thoughts?
Marty
Bharat Katkar
Honored Contributor

Marty,
Looking at your style, Ofwhite cream or even pitch color that i suggested should help. I would also add some decent posters which describes do's and don't's in the server room. Network diagram and server details can also be displayed for quick reference. Nice furniture with natural wood finish if required (for console's, manaments PC's etc) can also be setup. Proper positioning of tubelights and spacing the object properly for easy access.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Marty Metras
Super Advisor

I like that Idea. Looking to see the Map can be a pain when some thing is down.
Marty
Elmar P. Kolkman
Honored Contributor
Solution

Make sure that if you're going to use tube lights and 19" racks, you align the spacing between the racks below the lights, not the cabinets. That way you have less problems with shadows in the wrong places.
Every problem has at least one solution. Only some solutions are harder to find.
Marty Metras
Super Advisor

Good Point Elmar.
Thanks,
Marty