Did you mean: 

Wish list for the ideal data centre

SOLVED
Go to solution
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Wish list for the ideal data centre

Dear Experts!

i would like to build the ideal data centre for our new operations. (something more specific this time. Had the following post some time back: http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=963188 )

Environment: (industrial)
- Noisy
- Dusty (air maybe containing an small amount cotton residues)
- hot and stuffy

(please ignore DR considerations for the moment and let's not be too paranoia)

Concentrating only on the Interior design and desired services, i already come to the following wish list:
1. Power generator and an online UPS
2. Servers to rack mounted
3. ? Ceiling and floor
4. Dual airconditioning system.
5. ? hazards to be avoided

(? - what would be the perfect scenario?)

ALso, what would be the operating procedures?
0. Access control using rf-id cards
1. no foods and drinks allowed
2. Temparature between x and y degrees centigrade. (should include a thermometer inside)
3. Entry time, purpose and exit times recorded in logbook.
4. Regular cleanups

Thanking you in advance for sharing your preferrences. All your contributions will be much apprciated

kind regards
yogeeraj

No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
8 REPLIES
Ranjith_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Wish list for the ideal data centre

Hi yogi,

I am only adding those which you are not mentioned above.

I)
a. Install Camera's in the critical positions of the data centres, especially in the entrances and corridors.

b. Log the camera activities regularly on to a data storage device.

c. People to manage day to day activities.

d. Security system

In shot you should have a very good BMS at a data center. This include many things apart from those I mentioned above. There are many firms who provide Building Management Services.

II )Other things
---------------
1. Data center preferably be away from a city.

2. Make a perfect BCP documentation for the data center

3. Multiple redundant Links connecting to the data center with a very good response and resolution time in-case of a break down.

4. DC Preferably not in the ground floor / basement.

5. There should be a Precision AC system for the whole building.

6. Hygrometer for measuring humidity , kept inside the server room

7. Ban Photography inside the DC compound. Ban for Mobile with camera as well.

8. Shoes strictly not allowed inside the server room.

9. Automated Fire-extinguishing systems.

10. Video conference facility

11. Very good structured cabling system

12. Biometric Finger/ retina recognition for access control inside the server room.

13. Resting room

14. Visitors room

15. Conference hall with Video conference and projector facility.

etc etc... I know that Im not very organised in putting the above things, but definitely it is going to help you since it is from a real life scenario. Will keep posting if I came across some thing which I forgot to mention above.

Regards,
Syam
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi syam!

thank you for your reply.

unfortunately, we are not that big! Our data centre would be like a single "server room"

We also believe that the data centre would preferrable be within the manufacturing plant itself for obvious reasons! The Plant will also be a flat one... Maybe we'll be have a few offices located on the mezzanine.

Biometrics will also be a bit too far-fetched. Physical access/security would not be a real issue. We will be keeping it simple.

The best Interior setup is what we are aiming at...

thanking you all in advance for sharing your experiences.

kind regards
yogeeraj

No person was ever honoured for what he received. Honour has been the reward for what he gave (clavin coolidge)
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

hi again!

got loads of information from this thread too!

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=621359

Information about the colour, lighting systems, rack mount everything, raised floor, halon fire suppression, AC, and air filtration..

kind regards
yogeeraj
Gavin Clarke
Trusted Contributor

Just some minor points,

I believe Halon is not a good idea as a fire protection system. We have Argonite as it is apparently a little less dangerous to humans. Although lets face it anything that will put out a fire by starving it of oxygen isn't going to be friendly to people.

Another thing we found helpful last time we did this was to have clean and unclean power sockets/supplies, clearly labelled, so that your nice clean power doesn't get a vaccum cleaner plugged into it.

We didn't do this, it was suggested afterwards, vertical lighting on the walls behind the cabinets, so that you can really see what you're doing.

We tried to think about giving our cabling installers as much space to work as we could.

Just a few thoughts really.

Cheers.
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

This documentation I found very helpfull:

h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00064724/c00064724.pdf

Enterprise Data Center Design and Methodology by Rob Snevely

hp cooling simulation ( don't know where it is) I have it if you want (1.5 MB)

Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Biometrics are not as far fetched as you think.

Smart card's are another idea that is quite useful. I work for a company that designs smartcards that are quite secure. We also use the things for room access in hq here.

Operators will eat in the room if they have to spend any time in there. You might want to give them a room outside where they can sit and use VNC or Remote Desktop connection to do work.

Another common problem in computer rooms for people who have to be there a lot is they are uncomfortably cold for humans. Humans then tend to mess with air flow and thermostats in order to be comfortable.

I would make sure whatever is above you is not a roof and there are no pipes running in the ceiling above the room, and have sump pumps if you end up in a basement, which is a bad idea.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Aaron Hunt_1
Advisor

A few things I had not seen specifically mentioned.

Tacky Mats (basically adhesive double sided doormats these things are great for controlling dust, when the top layer is saturated you peel it off and a fresh one is below)

No passback on all access doors.(your security team should really have this taken care of already)

If you are limited for space you want to be VERY thoughtful about what kind of cabling solution you decided on. This can be heavily influenced by whatever kind of physical network topology you decide on as well. Ex Raised flooring v/s overhead cable trays... Are you going to use a relay rack style setup or drop direct from swithport to rack location. If you decide direct drops will you be using a managed switch at each rack perhaps?

Hope these help,
Aaron
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
Yogeeraj_1
Honored Contributor

Thank you aaron!

have note you inputs.

thanks again

kind regards
yogeeraj