Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help on planning

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paulo_28
Occasional Advisor

help on planning

Can anyone help me on how to configure a files server? my problem is that i can't find any reference in how to configure my 5 scsi hd. what is the best way to configure then? 2 disks mirroed and the other 3 in raid5?
please can anyone tell me where can i find any information about best practices in configuring the hd.

Thanks
9 REPLIES
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: help on planning

The best configuration really depens on the usage you think you might bee putting those driver through.

How many users do you have?
What are the size of the Hard Drives?

It is feasible to consider using ALL the drives in 1 RAID5 array and then making 2 partitions. One for your OS the other for Data. But I would only consider this if the server is going to be a light duty File Server.

For anything more, I would consider 2 in RAID1 for the OS and 3 in RAID5 for the data.

As far as information on "best practice's", I can not lead you to any specific doc. I mainly go by experience with this as I put in approximately 40 servers a month on average.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Paulo_28
Occasional Advisor

Thanks,

It is going to be a files server. what I was planing was puting 2 18G hd SCSI3 in Raid1 and the other 4 78G hd SCSI320 in Raid 5. Is this configuration ok for a exchange mail server? I have 100 users. Last quaestion, my prolient ml370 as a smartarray, do I need it to implement a raid 5 configuration on my hard drives? What is the diference bettween tha scsi on bord and the smartarray 642?

Thanks again
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Not being totally familiar with the ML line, I can only take a quick stab. I think the ML line's built in scsi is SCSI only, no RAID capabilities where as the DL servers usually have built in Smart Array. So the main difference is, the Smary Array Controller allows you to build Hardware RAID.

You WILL need a Smart Array Controller to create the RAID Arrays. The SM642 should do fine.

Now, if you needed more space... you can get the 2 bay SCSI drive cage option and add an additional 2 drives to the configuration (if you haven't already).

Additionally, if you going to build an Exchange Server out of it, I woud probably make sure you have more memory then the standard 1 or 2 GB's it comes with, as well as dual Processors.

Did you get the High Performance model? ;o)

The standard G4 comes with 1GB RAM/1 CPU/Onboard SCSI.

The G4HPM comes with 2GB RAM/2 CPU and the SM6402 with 128MB BBWC

For File Serving, I think your set with th 4 72GB drives. Another thing to consider is HOW much usage each user will have on the server. If it is mainly for storage, then what you have is ideal / overkill.

If it is for light usage... ie.
Users only open a few files at a time and then save them and move on...then your still in good shape.

If you expect heavy usage... ie.
Users constantly updating files, deleting files, creating files, modifying files, etc, the I would probably suggest a bit more RAM and the additional 2 HDD's.

For Exchange, memory is ALWAYS good to have and more HDD's as well. I would almost always suggest getting the additional 2 drives and creating a 6 drive RAID5 set.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Paulo_28
Occasional Advisor

Thank again for your help. Yes I have a 3 g of ram for the file server, but do you think I will have any kind of trouble in using in the same cage/smartarray 2 18hd Raid1 and the other 4 78hd in Raid5? I am asking because they have diferente capacities.

thanks
Terry Auspitz
Frequent Advisor

Paulo,

To my knowledge you can mix drive sizes in the same cage, but of course you cannot mix and match drive sizes in the same array. You will want to make sure all drive are the same type (Ultra2, Ultra3, etc) though.

In fact, if this is to be an Exchange server as you say and not a file server, you really want to do it this way (the OS and Exchange data on different arrays). RAID 1 for the OS and RAID 5 for the data is certainly an appropriate setup for this.

As a side note, if these solutions have been helpful to you, don't forget to assign points to those who helped. It costs you nothing and helps others with similar problems identify useful solutions in the future.

-Terry
Paulo_28
Occasional Advisor

This is for a files server, the exchange is for later upgrade that I am doing in the company to all servers. So you don't see any problem in having the 2 18G SCSI3 raid1 for OS and 4 78G SCSI320 raid5 for data in the same cage connected to the smartarray642?

Thanks,

Meireles
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

The U320's will/may operate at SCSI3 speeds. That would be the only issue.

Alterntively, I think if you were to have the 18's on one bus and the 72's on the second bus, they might operate at the best speed for the drive. I can't say for sure though. The 6402 should be dual bus.

Capacity wise there would be no issue. The 2 18's would be one Array and the 72's be be in another Array.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Terry Auspitz
Frequent Advisor

No problem that I can see. While I have not run this specific configuration, I do not see any reason based on the documentation and my experience with the servers in question that it would not work.

-Terry
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Question: Are the Smart Array 641/642 U320 controllers backwards compatible to Ultra 2 and Ultra 3 SCSI?

Answer: Ultra320 technology is backward compatible to Ultra3 and Ultra2. When mixing and matching different interface speeds, the Ultra320 products will operate at the lowest speed in the system. For example, when mixing U320 and U3 drives in an external array with a U3 controller, all drives will operate at the Ultra3 speed of the controller. To attain maximum transfer rates of up to 320 MB/s with U320 technology all components must be Ultra320 capable - the drives, the controller or SCSI adapter, and, if external to the server, the enclosure I/O modules as well.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt