Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

need help with new project

SOLVED
Go to solution
hpuxhelp
Regular Advisor

need help with new project

I need to come up with the next project that will be involved emc product. Will that be possible to ask the expert in here to give me some ideas on this?
I haven't work with ignite server.. i have work with mc/sg... i want this project to be cool... but doable...:) thansk for your help
13 REPLIES
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

Re: need help with new project

EMC product? How about BCV's aka hot backups? The software required is called TimeFinder. Great stuff.

Regards,

RZ
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Steven:

This is not meant to be flippant but if you don't know what projects are valuable to your company, how are we supposed to know?
Maybe turn your EMC array into a toaster? A small word of advice: The word "cool" rarely sounds so to management.

If you are not up to speed on IgniteUX then I suggest developing/testing/modifying your disaster recovery plan. That will also require work to rexcovery VG's that are housed on your EMC.

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

There is a lot of stuff that you can do with an EMC, it all depends what you currentrly have and where you are going with it. BCVs are certainly one way to go about it. You may want to look also at creating a DR site using SRDF or something similar with an array off-site. You may just want to be able to map out the array itself for better control over your LUNs. Like I said, there are plnety of projects to find, but you first need to know what you have and what you need.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
hpuxhelp
Regular Advisor

Thanks for your help.
In a few days, we are going to
test EMC with our host for possible replacement as storage. I don't know much about EMC. But I have work with different storage before.
What does BCV stand for? and I really like the idea of controlling the luns. this is a production site, therefore, we can not have any fault tolerance or at least at the minimal... I know that there is a lot of things involve in this. I just want to present a project to management that it will be beneficial to the company. Ignite UX is not a great idea, however, i want it to more involve with vgs and the array on EMC...
Ross Zubritski
Trusted Contributor

BCV - Business Continuity Volume.
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

we use BCVs at our site... and iginte is a HUGE part of our disaster recovery plan. some of our servers have over 3.5 terabytes of EMC allocated to them. For disaster recovery we use an external company called Sungard http://www.sungards.com
Then we use scripts to recover all the vg's on the EMC disk.
All paths lead to destiny
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor
Solution

Steven,

BCV stands for Business Continuaty Volume (sorry for the spelling). Basically what this does is that they are LUNs that will merge and split with your Production data, therefore creating a backup copy on disk. Now what you do with this is up to you. Whether you put this to tape, use this copy for a reporting system, etc.. is al up to you.

If you are thinking of replacing your current storage with EMC, you are definitely moving in the right direction in terms of minimizing the single point of failures. EMC arrays are redundant in almost everything hardware wise. So if you go to Production with this, I would certainly recommend using Raid-1 for your data, so that you will have a mirror copy (and this is all hardware so nothing is needed from you) for your data in case a disk fails. Now if you are looking into less downtime as possible, i would certainly combine that with Service Guard to maximize your uptime.

You may want to look into EMC Control Center and SDR (Symmetrix Disk Reallocation) which would allow you to move, delete, modify the Symm config to your liking. Along with that the EMC Control Center, would also perform a certain amount of reporting tasks that could help you troubleshoot any issues you may have with the Symm or simply report LUNs associated with LV for example.

Hope that helps you a little more.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

EMC is a great box with great software to go with it, but there are equivalents that are just as good if not better.

Talk to HP about the Surestore XP 512, Business Copy is similar to BCV and Continious Acces similar to SRDF. Also the VA7410 is a very good array which also runs Buiness Copy snapshots.

If your talking 9000s, Ignite, ServiceGuard makes sense to at least look at the HP disk products too.
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

John,

HP also do DR .. www.hp.com/go/recovery We have automated the non-root VG recovery that can take hours of recovery time.
John Meissner
Esteemed Contributor

Mike - ours saves huge time too... we just got back from a DR test and recovered 6 systems and their non-local filesystems in 3 hours. normally this would take a few hours per server. but the script we use does the LVM work in less than 5 minutes. that gave us enough time when we were done to go out and get a REALLY nice dinner on the company :)
All paths lead to destiny
Michael Duthie
Trusted Contributor

John,

Maybe I should clarify the "we" I mentioned is HP Business Continuity & Recovery Services.

Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

I must agree that you need to define what your company 'needs'...not just say I wanna do a project.

EMC Disk Storage offers a variety of products. Each that can be used and developed to meet your company's needs. Lord, I sound like an EMC commercial...yikes !

TimeFinder using BCV copies makes it handy to do backups with minimal disruption, as well as creating a 'point in time' disk copy of your data that you could restore from in the event you need to.
PowerPath is another handy product that allows for some nice I/O balancing (I'm a round-robin person..but you can set it up a number of ways)
SRDF is where the real money is spent. This is remote data copy between disk arrays. This is where Disaster Recovery technology comes into play. Major $$$ here.

Now all of this could have been discovered by talking to the EMC salesperson (and they love to talk their products) or by checking out www.emc.com.

And HP offers the same products and technologies...BOTH are fantastic !!

Regards,
Rita

...why anybody would go hunting for one is beyond me...projects tend to find you anyway..
hpuser_6
Advisor

Hi,
I'd like to know if possible can you give a brief information on how to set up SRDF?and what are the obstacle that you have encounter?
2 Symmetric : 1 for source and 1 for target,
connect via escon cable?