cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

non-Samba AS/9000 replacement

Misa
Frequent Advisor

non-Samba AS/9000 replacement

I'm trying to plan our AS/9000 replacement.

Has anyone found a commercially-supported product to replace AS/9000 (including full logon and DC functionality as in Advanced Server)?

The last time I read up on CIFS/9000, it didn't seem to do what I need.
6 REPLIES
Peter Brimacombe
Frequent Advisor

Re: non-Samba AS/9000 replacement

I was using VisionFS from SCO - I am using CIFS right now.
Wodisch_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

the current version of SAMBA can work as DC, and via using OpenLDAP to store the authentication info you can replicate one OpenLDAP server to another, whihc would then be used by another SAMBA server. That way you have the PDC-BDC functionality!
And CIFS/9000 is HP's version of SAMBA - commercialy supported, of course...

So, what are you missing?

Regards,
Wodisch
Misa
Frequent Advisor

Wodisch,

From what I understand, PAM authentication is required. I'm hoping to avoid this (don't mean to sound idiotic, but it didn't seem clear and I'm currently shouldering too much work -- no time to dig into it). The old trust, mapuname stuff seemed clearer and simpler.

The last I knew, CIFS/9000 did not support PDC/BDC functionality as did AS/9000; it could only be a member server. I need to keep a separate domain.

While HP support is generally good, I found it to be way less than stellar when supporting AS/9000; another reason I desire to move.

I'm interested in knowing to which version you're referring. My knowledge is about a year old.

thanks,
M????a
Wodisch_1
Honored Contributor

Hi again,

I was refering to 2.2.3. Look there for the changes:
http://de.samba.org/samba/whatsnew/samba-2.2.4.html

HTH,
Wodisch
Misa
Frequent Advisor

Checked the page very briefly; this is a Samba page. I'm looking for commercial software, not open source.

At this point, my summary would be that people have replaced AS/9000 with CIFS/9000 ("commercial") or Samba (open source). There seems to be no exodus to another commercial product.
Rainer von Bongartz
Honored Contributor

>>>> There seems to be no exodus to another commercial product.

Misa,

I fear you you are right here. I have been looking for a replacement with the same functionality as AS/U but there seems to be none. A share for HP to replace a commercial product with a freeware with limited functionality.

Regards
Rainer
He's a real UNIX Man, sitting in his UNIX LAN making all his UNIX plans for nobody ...